• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-50 acting squirrely

xtranaut

Dec 29, 2011
Broke down the Shack the other day to have new flooring put in. Gently removed everything and stacked it on hall closet shelves. Floors are in. Plugged it all back up and turned it on.

Worked one end of the spEctrum to the other and not one voice on any band - no shortwave stations and no code!, Yes, freq readout was working but it sounded like it was doing nothing - no conrasts in levels of noise or difference in band characteristics but the white noise sounded normal. Picked up the mike and called a friend and noticed that the RF meter wasn't producing any fowrard dashes. Mic setting was on 100 watts...but no output reading!

My TS-50 is running the AT-50 so I checked all connections, unpluegged it all and put it all back in again. Still nothing.

Today is a new day. I did a full microprocessor reset. Went to 10 meters and caught a loud signal doing a net so I tried to sign in but ne control had obviously not heard me. So, I uinplugged the AT-50 and ran the antenna straight into the TS-50. I called to signed in (it was an open invite ragchew) and got a very enthusiastic reply.The net cointrol was practically a neighbor so naturally I popped the top off his rig but I couldn't hear any other of the six previous stations he checked in and they were all within 50 miles radius. I even have the HEAR THIS speaker and couldn't pull them out of the hash.

Tonight though, I made progress. I made contact - even though 4 miles away and then I plugged the AT-50 back up and tuned down to 40 and 20 meters and heard hundreds of CW signals that I did not hear the night before. Then to shortwave, and there they all were!

Somehow, I feel like something needs tending to but I haven't a clue where to start. I ought to be hearing locals within 50 miles just as good as I do France on shortwave but I am not hearing them at all -- and still can't imagine why the Autotuner would have caused any problem at all.

Anybody have this kind of experience WITH THIS RADIO?

Make sure the AT-50 is connected to the TS-50 then power the rig on.
The AT-50 should at least attempt to tune the mismatch on demand.

Try pressing and holding AT Tune key for two seconds as this will enable Thru mode then you can establish if the AT is contributing to the problem or the rig has a possible fault.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.