1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

TS 500v question

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Jim1428, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Jim1428

Jim1428 Member

Would there be any advantage to changing the bias on this amp to a regulated bias instead of the self bias it currently employs? I plan on running it at 250 watts max.

My goal is to get a good sounding am station with minimal interference to other channels.

Would the new President McKinley be ok to drive the amp?

2. PA770

PA770 W9WDX Member

Currently running McKinley with a TS350V. No issue here.

I did adjust the AM modulation pot 206 is AMC, and pot 202 is thetSSB ALC (looks like PLC on board) pot on mine for a little more gain.

Don't touch anything else inside, if you even want to open it. The factory McKinley should have no issue with TS500. If you don't feel comfortable adjusting the POTS inside send to a good tech to adjust.

I used the front McKinley RF power menu to set to about 2w dk.. though I think your TS500 would be fine with 3.6w dk as reported it has stock out of the box.

You can adjust the POTS inside or leave it alone, though the AM modulation is low factory set.. everyone said I sounded ''low".

IMG_20180912_145122153.jpg

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  3. Jim1428

Jim1428 Member

I figured I would have to adjust the am modulation. Did you have any problem with the size of the pots?

4. PA770

PA770 W9WDX Member

I used a tiny flat head jewelry screw driver with radio off and unplugged each time. Don't use too much oresspre or you may break the pot off the board. You should use smt sized tuning tool though.

5. Jim1428

Jim1428 Member

Thanks.