• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS500V???

IDIeselman

Oct 20, 2010
Lake Michigan
I purchased a TS500V to accompany my Doug built Cobra BCSRFX75. TS states a 40-45 Amp Current Draw, I plan on using 8 AWG wire, Is 8 enough or should I go with heavier wire? This will be in a 2010 f150 and my hindsite concern is the draw on my alternator (155 amp @ 6000RPM ) and interference with my electrical system. Has anyone had any problems with electronics in the newer vehicles while running a little helper like the 500V? Any advice on this install is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

I personally prefer #6awg cable but you may want to reconsider using that rfx75 to drive it with unless you like replacing transistors.

Thanks Mack, Not only do I not like replacing transistors.......I wouldn't know where to start. The 500 was priced too good to pass up so I bought it. Are you aware of any power reducers I could have installed between the radio and amp so I could use it with my current radio? I do have an old 29 side mic that has been clipped that I could use but I really don't want to use it untill I replace the limiter.

That old 29 will work and not work the amp too hard, 3 or 4 watts carrier and 12 to 15 watt pep is a good match for that amp.

that kinda drive is unacceptable from the rfx

No, It's perfectly acceptable from the RFX. I believe it's the amp that won't like it. I may have withheld some information about the radio, It is the stealth version and does have a low/high power switch that allows for a 2 watt dead key, It may not matter but I thought I would post it. It looks like I may buy a Galaxy 959 to use with the amp.

That radio, since it has the RFX-75 installed, is too much for that amp. You'd want to get yourself a competition amp, as opposed to an off the shelf TS amp. That radio does well with a TNT-600HD.

Thanks guys, I loaned it to a friend of mine with a tuned Galazy 979, Two watt DK swinging to 60. While talking at a distance of 18-20 miles the amp does make quite a difference on my end when he turns it on, I was expecting more. I know the meter in my radio is close at best but with him turning the amp on high it puts my meter from 1.5 to 3-3.5. Does that sound close to being right or is the amp in need of repair?

Thanks
Tim

You have to quadruple the output power to get 1 pound increase.

SO, going from 2 watts of deadkey to 8, will give you 1 s unit increase..... Then to go from 2 to 3 S Units, you'd be talking going to 32 watts of carrier.

I doubt your friends radio does 60 watts PEP, unless it has a stinger board or RFX 75.

If your amp will deadkey 2 watts, it won't overdrive the 500 on AM. I've run a palomar Elite 250 (really about a 120 watt linear), and a Texas Star Modulator Plus, Mod V and Mod box into one, they vary from 45 watts PEP to 90 watts PEP, depending on the vintage. BUT, the trick on the 2879 (especially) is to keep the carrier LOW.

If it has the VARIABLE in it, I bypass them. They are rated for 2 watts continuous.

I'd RATHER you didn't run the RFX into it at all, but if you can keep the carrier at 2 watts, 45 to 60 PEP into that amp won't hurt it on AM. HOWEVER, about 25 PEP on SSB is all it takes to drive it into distortion.

--Toll_Free

Thanks Toll_free, If quadrupleing the output power to get 1 pound increase is the standard then The 500V must be working right. 8x60 = 480 watts ?

Doug at custom CB radios just finished the 979's (two of them actually) They are both doing 60.

Thanks Toll_free, If quadrupleing the output power to get 1 pound increase is the standard then The 500V must be working right. 8x60 = 480 watts ?

Doug at custom CB radios just finished the 979's (two of them actually) They are both doing 60.

... like the other guy said, they ain't doing 60, unless a stinger board or RFX-75. Even the dual-mosfet mod won't get 60 out of a 979.

Yup, Dual mosfets with heatsink and a few different Capacitors. Why does everyone call BS when I give watt information. Hell the local CB/Ham tech bet me lunch my Cobra BCS75C would not even come close to 120 watts. I recieved it from Doug, put it on the bird and did 122. I know there are many who like to exagerate but, while asking for information on a board like this certainly is not the place.

I'm telling you, it's not doing 60-watts, period. Don't care if Doug or God himself told you that. I won't comment any further on this because it's obvious you're going to believe only what you want to believe. You can't argue the laws of physics.

my 500v would do 500 pep with 16 watts from a uniden washington . it would do right at 600 pep with 21 watts from an export . that was using an astatic 700 meter .

i would never consider driving one with a high watt radio myself .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.