• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube ac box?

990nj

Jul 29, 2008
Hello all, I am new to the board and would like to ask a few questions if i may. I have been out of the hobby for some years and have just set up an imax 2000 on the roof to go along with my rci 2990 and would like a clean base amp, I would like the ability to crank it up to 1.5kw and do a clean kw with ease. I would like a tube amp, I recall a few years back a brand named klv made a model 1000p that was a high drive for a reasonable price but like I said I have been out of the hobby so I would like some suggestions from you guys.

What is your budget? Are you serious about wanting a quality amp or are you trying to buy cheap with big results?

The best CB amp is the Pride DX-300, but it won't take the drive from your 2990. It will give you a solid 500 watts out but you need to put a switch on the stinger on the back of the 2990 so you can turn it off.

The next popular option is the Heathkit SB-220. This amp runs a pair of 3-500Z tubes and will give you almost a KW on AM. The SB-220 was designed for SSB which only has a 30% duty cycle when compared to AM. Therefore, the power supply is weak for AM operation. This is why you need to back off on the output of the SB-220 by running it in the CW mode. Many people will say that you can run it wide open and that their buddy has been doing that for 20-years, etc etc etc. I've heard it all. You will have to fix it often if you don't take my advice.

If you are serious and want to buy an amp that will give you solid output power, with ONE tube, that is cheap to replace, look for a builder who makes a GS-35B amp. I'm building one for myself which includes a heavy duty power supply that will allow constant keydown on AM. But there is a cost involved! My two Hipersil transformers from MagCap cost $650.00 all by themselves. I could build it cheaper, but I wanted an amp with a heavy duty power supply.

You need to decide what is important to you and what your wallet will allow.

I would like to spend somewhere in the $700-900 range, I've been looking at these wizard built boxes what's the word with them?

I have no direct experience with their boxes but they appear to be built well for as far as bowl boxes go.

$700.00 to $900.00 won't get you a new box. Start looking for a good SB-220.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.