• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube Amp

How about a single 3cx800a7? Steel ceramic tube that will do 1200 watts on SSB all day. Or maybe a 3cx1200a7....

Umm Datsun, I gotta ask. How many tube amps have you built so far?

And nobody so far has asked what drive-power level you plan to use. A single-final CB with 20 or 25 Watts peak? A dual-final "10-meter" radio with 35 or 40 Watts peak? Or a ham-type radio that delivers 100 to 150 Watts peak? This has a big influence on which type tube looks like the best bet.

nomadradio
The last one was using a 3-500z and the transformer was out of a color TV with a 100 watt drive. But that was 25 years ago so I am a little out of touch on the new stuff.
So I was looking for a schematic for one, so I could build one in my spare time. Any ideas would help.

Curious: What kind of money did you determine to build an SB220-like amp new? I was thinking about doing this myself, but haven't had a chance to price it out... or even see if all of the required parts are readily available.

Uh BlackCat, for years I had a snappy comeback for someone who tried to pin me down to "how much to fix" a SB-220, sight unseen without a chance to look it over and prepare a proper estimate.

Told 'em 2800 bucks if EVERYTHING in it is bad but the case and chassis. If the tubes are good, subtract 300, if the big transformer is good, subtract 400, if the small transformer is good, subtract 150, if the tube sockets are good, subtract $75, if the meters are both good subtract 150, and on and on.

The idea, of course, was to scare the guy who didn't want me to see the thing first. If he doesn't want me to see it before quoting a price, that's scary enough by itself. Considering that a new Ameritron AL-82 runs $2645, there's no way a unit hand-built with "custom" labor will be cheaper than one built with assembly-line labor.

Come to think of it, that 2800-buck figure is probably five years out of date by now, at least.

And if your labor is free, high-quality, legit materials will still top $1000, pretty sure. Using salvaged parts, or the bargain parts found in the cartons UNDER the flea-market tables would be cheaper, so long as none of them goes "POOF" when you put the fire to it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.