• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TUBE QUESTION

KJ4BAE

Aug 14, 2008
I have a good jb12 with a bad tube, it is a 6bq5. Is there a difference in the brands of tubes or are thay all the same. I want good power and quality, is any one brand better than the other?

I'd try to find either a Sylvania or a GE tube for it myself. There are other brands out there that will work but those two ought to be the top two IMO. There are several places you can get them from. Check with Alan at: www.tubesplus.com
The 6BQ5 is used in many tube type radios for audio output.

BC

Tubes for Amps

CJs Tube Collection

eBay Store - Vacuum Tube Supply

I have bought from both these stores...both sell good tubes...never had a bad deal from either.

K5SVC/also on Ebay...Excellent dealer/Top Notch Service... He did not show any in stock though...but if he has it a tube you need for any radio or amp it will be a good one(s)

The Electros(Mullards/Svotek) all these brands are now Russian tubes and good quality... also Russian and excellent quality/ Svetlana or Winged "C"

I am running Svetlana's in one of my amps now and very happy with them...strong and well built
I think Svetlana now private labels for Electro Harmonics/Svotek/Mullards...

Yes you can't go wrong with RCA/Sylvania/Zenith/ or Amperex(Holland made) all also very good but starting to get pricey nowdays for these brands on certain tubes.
All the Best
BJ

If you're wanting a good replacement tube, and can't locate a 6BQ5, try a 7189. That's a direct plug-in for a 6BQ5, with a little higher output. When I had my old JB-12, I ran 7189's, and they worked great, got an extra 5-10 PEP, depending on input.

-Exit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.