• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube Radio- Courier Royale vs Cobra Cam 88

oldgeezer

Aug 13, 2017
I bought a Courier Royale recently. I have a Cobra Cam 88 for a while. I was curious about the Courier as it has a mechanical filter in the receiver section. The mechanical filter was an expensive option and provides very high adjacent channel rejection. After playing with both radios on the CB band, I find on either radio the adjacent channel rejection about the same. Fact is some CBs are so highly modulated that the transmitters bleed over. It is not one radio ends up better than the other although the Courier Royale would spec better. I verified the bleed over with an expensive late model ham radio. It is not severe anyways and makes no difference in the channels I use for AM.

The Cobra Cam 88 and apparently the Courier were opened up for higher modulation. The Courier surprised me as it went from 4 watts to 12 watts peak. The Cobra goes from 3.5 watts to 10 watts peak. Originally the Cobra would only perform about 6 watts peak before I removed the resistor at the Dyna Boost switch.

As for the receiver sections either radio provides good receive audio. I did not notice the Courier mechanical filter providing any more selectivity, although it certainly will perform better than no filter. Looks wise I prefer the more finished look of the Cobra Cam 88 although the Courier has a nicer paint color scheme. I will place the Cobra Cam 88 at top of the two CB sets.

In very good condition for both radios, the Cobra Cam 88 is a $75 radio and the Courier Royale usually brings $100+. Cobra Cam 88s are not as rare as the Courier Royale.

Read more: http://grumpy.proboards.com/thread/7899/cobra-cam-88-courier-royale#ixzz4pwZIzT7j

I bought a Courier Royale recently. I have a Cobra Cam 88 for a while. I was curious about the Courier as it has a mechanical filter in the receiver section. The mechanical filter was an expensive option and provides very high adjacent channel rejection. After playing with both radios on the CB band, I find on either radio the adjacent channel rejection about the same. Fact is some CBs are so highly modulated that the transmitters bleed over. It is not one radio ends up better than the other although the Courier Royale would spec better. I verified the bleed over with an expensive late model ham radio. It is not severe anyways and makes no difference in the channels I use for AM.

The Cobra Cam 88 and apparently the Courier were opened up for higher modulation. The Courier surprised me as it went from 4 watts to 12 watts peak. The Cobra goes from 3.5 watts to 10 watts peak. Originally the Cobra would only perform about 6 watts peak before I removed the resistor at the Dyna Boost switch.

As for the receiver sections either radio provides good receive audio. I did not notice the Courier mechanical filter providing any more selectivity, although it certainly will perform better than no filter. Looks wise I prefer the more finished look of the Cobra Cam 88 although the Courier has a nicer paint color scheme. I will place the Cobra Cam 88 at top of the two CB sets.

In very good condition for both radios, the Cobra Cam 88 is a $75 radio and the Courier Royale usually brings $100+. Cobra Cam 88s are not as rare as the Courier Royale.

Read more: http://grumpy.proboards.com/thread/7899/cobra-cam-88-courier-royale#ixzz4pwZIzT7j

Your Cam 88 is a beauty. Would love to see a pic of your Courier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.