• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tuned input for Transistor HF All Band Amp?

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 25, 2010
Texas
Does anyone sell a nice tuned input for one of these amps? I am looking at building an HF Amp for my shack and was wondering if it were necessary to add a tuned input or not and if so, is there a place you can just buy it? I really am not interested in all that winding coils and matching networks blah blah for building my HF Amplifier, will do the rest of the work myself, but if a tuned input is required or recommended the only way it's getting one is if I can just buy that assembly somewhere for a reasonable amount of money...

Was looking instead to buy a used AL-80B, but I have been told to stay away from that Chassis, that it is UTTER GARBAGE, which I think is ridiculous blabber, if it was so bad then why would they still be making it, but anyway, maybe some input on that topic as well, as I know where a clean AL-80B is sitting for sale locally.

First of all you do not need a tuned input on a solidstate amplifier. The input and output transformers are broadband and if built right should cover 3.5 to 30 MHz easy enough and maybe even down to 160m if the right ferrite is used. Second there is NOTHING wrong with the AL-80B, in fact it is one of the best amps in it's class for the money. Whoever said to avoid it as junk is someone who I would not put any stock into as for opinions or knowledge.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not disagreeing with 'CK', but I think a tuned input per band is a nice feature, solid state or not. I'm not a fan of the "no tune" types of circuits, they take as much if not more care in building than those tuned kinds do.
And as far as those AL-80B's or the AL-80A's are concerned, they are about as far from garbage as you can get on the typical commercial market. I'm sure there are other brands of amplifiers that might be 'better' in some way or another, but there is nothing wrong with them. (I have one of each, by the way.) They are as subject to having problems just like any other device. They also have a 'qwerk' or two that might be aggravating for some people, but that's also normal. My '80A' is sitting over there waiting to be repaired. You can -see- the faulty part, the only trouble for me is getting to the @#$ thing! I can disassemble anything, the hard part is getting it back together again. Oh well...
- 'Doc

Thanks for the "input" no pun intended... Which type of ferrite transformers should I use for the most broadbanded? I haven't ordered that stuff in a while, I remember there being a couple different types of those things...

So if I did pick up the AL-80B, what would be a good price to pay for it used? Should I verify which brand of 3-500Z is in it? I have heard some of the newer 3-500Z tubes are not as long lasting as the older Eimac tubes that it might have come with when it was new.. Supposedly it only needs a meter light in one of the meters and only has a couple hours use on it.

The only 3-500 tubes made now comes form China.
Any others are old stock and whatever you find on the market.
An AL80B is often had in the $800 range +/- plus shipping at nearly 60 lbs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.