• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turn off Nightwatch?

Cruiseomatic

Dark side of the Sun.
Dec 28, 2011
I have both a 29 wxnwbt and a 200. Both have Nightwatch. I want to turn them off. Not dim, Completely off. My tech said it can't be done. I'd like to prove him wrong, Lol. He said everything runs through a small converter box and it cannot be cut off without cutting everything else off also. Can it be? I'd like these faceplate's to last as long as I can because who knows at this rate if Cobra will still carry these in a few years or if they'll even still be around at the rate they're going.

The best mod I ever saw for a Cobra 200 was place it in front of one of your wheels and drive away.

re: The best mod I ever saw for a Cobra 200 was place it in front of one of your whee

S W E E T...............

Bells CB says it's powered by an IC. Maybe a switch could be wired somehow.
Cobra 29 WX NW ST

So if you can put a switch in the dimmer control without screwing up the IC then you got it. A good tech could do this for you if it can be done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Did some looking and saw the faceplate is powered by two wires plugging into it carrying up to 17 VAC. I'm thinking instead of tapering with the IC, Why not just switch one side of the AC instead?

BTW, Please keep "derogatory" replies to yourself. I enjoy these radios and take some pride in owning them. They both fit a need that the over priced exports don't.

Are we talking about the Cobra 200?
As for derogatory replies, it looks like an opinion about the 200, that has a very poor track record of performance and survivability.
It is real sad, because it was a great looking radio, and Cobra failed miserably by releasing the radio before all the bugs were worked out.
There were a few retailers who sold them that had to fix all the problems before they even shipped new out of the box to their customers .

Ask Tony here on the Forum about his experience with the radio.
I think Cobra sent him several radios under warranty before they give up and just gave him his money back.
There seems to be a handful that were lucky enough to get the last working revision before Cobra pulled the plug on all of them.
If you have one that works properly, consider yourself one of the lucky ones.
I do not think the post was directed at you, just the radio overall.
If it is the 29 we are talking about, then disregard my post.

Jeff

My 200 works great so far and looks good. I haven't had any problems out of it. Loud clean audio, Well balanced, Dead on freq. no matter what.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.