• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner SSK question

badfish

Dec 1, 2008
I picked up a SSK for $10 (OK, $25 for the mic and a Teaberry stalker II am/ssb 40 ch). The mic don't work at all. I did the business card contact scrape/clean trick. Installed a fresh 9v batt. Inspected the inside for loose wires. Everything looks fine inside.

I wired it for my 139XLR. It keys the radio but no audio comes through. Any known problems with these? Any certain spot I should check? Does the head screw off? I tried without too much force in fear of breaking it. It almost acts like a wire is off the mic element....I just don't know for sure how to take the head apart. Any help is appreciated.

re

on the back of the mic. head there is a sticker you remove to get at the screw to remove the head.good luck with it.

Use a very fine sand paper or the striker pad from a pack of matches and carefully clean all the contact points under the keying bar, if these points are pitted or corroded the mic will not work. Hope this helps .

Last edited:
I'm in business. Turns out the P.O. did a wonderful job of soldering the negative battery wire to the positive side of the 9v plugin. It was nice and well hidden leaving me stumped for hours upon end. I now have no hair left on my head after pulling it all out like a mad scientist. Happy DX'ing my friends!!

(y)

Reactions: 1 person
Vintage Turners wired to 5 pin Cobra/Uniden SSB radios?

Most of my radios have 5 pins and noticed that older tuners, like the +2 SSB or +3, only have 3 conductors plus shield. Would I have to jump 2 pins on the 5 pin mic plug to get them to work with, say, a 148GTL? Or a Grant XL? Also, I have a TRC 457 base that has a 5 pin Din plug, but pin 3 in the din plug isn't used, would a turner wire up ok? Thanks for any tips.

Greg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated