• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner Super Sidekick vs. Sidekick 100

After nosing around the web for a couple days I've answered my own question...:whistle:

The Turner Sidekick 100 preceded the Super Sidekick by a couple years but at one brief point both microphones were sold side-by-side (until the SSK took over).
turnerbook.jpg
While I didn't crack open the heads, specs indicate they were using same/similar cartridges. Besides the different style labeling, the Sidekick 100 has a adjustable impedance transformer with an adjustable pot located on the bottom of the base.
baseplatesSM.jpg

I took a look inside and here's what I found -

Both of these particular models use Motorola's 4008 chip (previously talked about on another thread), but after that they veer away slightly from each other.

The Sidekick 100 has an impedance matching transformer while this Super Sidekick does not. Once wired to a radio the instructions said to turn up the topside gain control, adjust the bottom control for loudness, then re-adjust the top control to your liking.

SIDE KICK 100sk-1sm2.jpg

SUPER SIDE KICK
ssk3b-sm.jpg

The Sidekick 100 has the Motorola 4008, and a 2N4126 audio amp while the Super Sidekick only has the 4008, and the capacitor values are different as well:

Sidekick 100 - 22, 15, and 47 mfd.
Super Sidekick - 5, 20, and 15 mfd.

I'm no circuit wizard, but ever since I got a Sidekick 100 I wondered what was different between the models, so maybe someone more technical who is reading this will chime in ;)

I don't remember ever seeing a super sidekick without the transformer & second output level pot until i saw pics of them on here, must be a early one.

I don't remember ever seeing a super sidekick without the transformer & second output level pot until i saw pics of them on here, must be a early one.

On a recent thread I've been reading, it seems that some Super's had something other than a Motorola in it. I have another Super which looks like this one inside as well, but maybe one day, and another purchase, I'll get one that's more recent. I must have had this earlier Super back in the 70's because I don't remember an adjustment underneath. I'm wondering if the additional audio amp 2N4126 in the model 100 has to do with the transformer.. Maybe Andy will see this and clear the fog in my head...:whistle:

Turner base mics i have seen would date from late 70's onwards, super sidekicks would be 1980's vintage, i don't remember them befor that.

i always wondered if the only difference in plus3 & +3b was the paint.

Yup.
Same mic except the 3B is black. Hence the "B" after the 3.:)

A side note, the 100 was suited for SSB.

After nosing around the web for a couple days I've answered my own question...:whistle:

The Turner Sidekick 100 preceded the Super Sidekick by a couple years but at one brief point both microphones were sold side-by-side (until the SSK took over).
View attachment 34051
While I didn't crack open the heads, specs indicate they were using same/similar cartridges. Besides the different style labeling, the Sidekick 100 has a adjustable impedance transformer with an adjustable pot located on the bottom of the base.
View attachment 34046

I took a look inside and here's what I found -

Both of these particular models use Motorola's 4008 chip (previously talked about on another thread), but after that they veer away slightly from each other.

The Sidekick 100 has an impedance matching transformer while this Super Sidekick does not. Once wired to a radio the instructions said to turn up the topside gain control, adjust the bottom control for loudness, then re-adjust the top control to your liking.

SIDE KICK 100View attachment 34049

SUPER SIDE KICK
View attachment 34050

The Sidekick 100 has the Motorola 4008, and a 2N4126 audio amp while the Super Sidekick only has the 4008, and the capacitor values are different as well:

Sidekick 100 - 22, 15, and 47 mfd.
Super Sidekick - 5, 20, and 15 mfd.

I'm no circuit wizard, but ever since I got a Sidekick 100 I wondered what was different between the models, so maybe someone more technical who is reading this will chime in ;)

This post needs a revision. Details regarding the Sidekick 100 and SSK are reversed. The 100 preceded the SSK but the images and values are mis-labeled.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?