• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TV

C2

Aug 3, 2005
Anyone know how to fix a TV? It came up solid green with the diagonal lines then went black. I turned up the picture a bit and now I see solid purple with diagonal lines, like in this picture. Channel tuning and sound work fine.

Electronics_004small.jpg

Hate to be the one to say this, but that looks for all the world like a short inside the CRT. Most likely, between the two grids on the red gun.

Had a TV that did that, only on the green. Found the parts that got smoked feeding the green G2 circuit, and it played fine for a couple of days. Turning it on its side probably jostled whatever had lodged in the gap between the grids. But after a couple of weeks, it went back. Took off the back cover, turned it back on and tapped the neck of the CRT with a plastic screwdriver handle. BING! picture came back. Took a couple of weeks the next time.

Ran that TV for years. Just a "whack" would bring it back, until old age finally got the flyback.

And no, nobody sells replacement jugs. I stopped fixing TVs when the price of a new CRT shot higher than replacement price for the whole receiver. Been a while. Besides, a new jug is only part of what you need. One or more small resistor, capacitor, rectifier-type parts probably went south when it went dark the first time. You'd have to track those down and replace them, as well.

Agree with Nomad - there's something making very light but definite contact inside the CRT.

I used to own a CRT "Rejuvenator", made by B&K. I'm sure they don't make them any more, and I don't remember the model number. When my Heathkit GR-2001 25", SOTA TV started getting cranky after 15 years or so of service, I tried that, and got another 4 years out of it! Haven't even thought about the Rejuvenator in a long time...maybe eBay or Google...

Bummer. I discovered the same thing in my research online. It was only about 4 years old.

Now what am I gonna do? I'd hate to buy old technology, especially given an analog blackout scenario, and the new stuff is still expensive.

Heh! Remembered this thread here at work and did a quick search on Google.

IF the proper socket for your CRT is included, you'd probably be able to fix the problem, at least temporarily.

Thanks, Beetle. It would be a good educational experience at the very least. :)

Umm, that tester is a good model, but the specimen offered has no adapters.

CRTs use enough different base sizes and hookups that a CRT tester will usually have a set of two or three dozen adapters, each for different CRT base connections.

Description says nothing about them. For that matter, will they turn up in a separate sale from the same guy? Labeled something like "Box of Sockets" or such?

Trouble is, a 'vintage' tester won't have an adapter for your "post-modern" CRT. Either the tester's manufacturer would have to still be in business, to sell you an adapter, or you'd have to make your own, by gum and by gosh.

Can't try the "rejuvenate" trick without a way to plug in the CRT.

Clearing internal shorts in one electron gun was a crap shoot. Sometimes it would do the job, sometimes it would just evaporate grid wires and "fix" that jug permanently.

Besides, there's still a 50-50 chance that soldered-in parts have been clobbered by the CRT short, and would still have to be found and replaced if you replaced the CRT with a new one.

TV repair is still practiced by a dwindling handful of groups. First, are centralized high-volume "depot" companies. They tend to be located near overnight-shipping hubs, and provide warranty support for national retailers. They have the economy of scale working for them, and often won't take a unit out of warranty, at all.

Then, there's the "lease" company, who sells all 300 TVs to a hospital, or such. Typically, the hospital buys the TVs and the "lease" company gets a contract fee per set to keep them running, whatever goes wrong with them. That guy has an ever-growing pile of junk units, to scavenge for parts. That, and an economy of scale, working only on one or two models and nothing else.

As a business, open-to-the-public TV repair is just about extinct.

Even if you locate the service data, repair all the 'collateral' damage, and replace the CRT, it only takes one "odd" part to bring you to a halt. Generic parts are still easily available, but any part that is specific to your brand or model could become a real scavenger hunt. The pipeline that brings repair parts from the orient to the USA has gotten thinner and drier than it used to be. Parts like that to fit a TV over 3 years old tend to go into the dumpster, rather than listed in a catalog for sale.

why don't you just do simple test first before you jump the gun..>haha get it:p

check the caps on the back of the board comming off the CRT.65% of the T.V's I do have this problem a cap drys out or a resistor heats up and pops out of the board..thanks to our cheaper way of making thiner boards.

and dam, Ijust sold a sencore with a 27 sockets:( sorry no help on this!

why don't you just do simple test first before you jump the gun..>haha get it:p

check the caps on the back of the board comming off the CRT.65% of the T.V's I do have this problem a cap drys out or a resistor heats up and pops out of the board..thanks to our cheaper way of making thiner boards.I did though see were the blue and red gun short out ,due to a drop of the set..

and dam, Ijust sold a sencore with a 27 sockets:( sorry no help on this!

Probably like most people, I stuck the thing in the corner and forgot about it. But I still have it so another look won't hurt.

Thanks...

Beetle said:
Agree with Nomad - there's something making very light but definite contact inside the CRT.

I used to own a CRT "Rejuvenator", made by B&K. I'm sure they don't make them any more, and I don't remember the model number. When my Heathkit GR-2001 25", SOTA TV started getting cranky after 15 years or so of service, I tried that, and got another 4 years out of it! Haven't even thought about the Rejuvenator in a long time...maybe eBay or Google...

Didn't they used to refer to this as "shooting the tube"?

Rich

yeppers, shooting the tube is what i called it to!
cleaning of the guns...rummer had it that some tubes collected dust and after awhile this is why the guns had to be shot..
i never reasoned with this ,except 1 thing, when they made the tubes and vacuum sealed them ..was the room or maching dust free:p
there is a why to shoot a gun without a rejuvenation Machine by using a resistor..little scary but worked..and don't ask because i won't recommend this:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.