• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Two Antenna Questions

riverrat373

Aug 2, 2012
1. I'm about to install a CB in my 2009 F-150 Super Cab and would like some feedback on my antenna location choice. I have an aluminum toolbox at the forward end of the truck bed that is bolted to the bed. I'm thinking that I will get the best signal pattern to the sides and rear of the truck if I mount the antenna dead center on the back of the box. The aluminum antenna bracket has enough offset so the antenna will clear the top when opened. I'm not really concerned about maximum gain to the front of the truck. Does this sound like a good location?

2. This question concerns the installation of a Sirio 3-element beam antenna on my house. I know that if installed vertically that it will receive signals from vertical antennas better than horizontal. But I would also like to talk longer distances and I have been led to believe that horizontal orientation is better for long distance because over long distance radio signals change orientation. I have one station about 65 miles from me as the crow flies that I would like to talk to. I can hear him on my Imax 2000 and he can tell I'm transmitting but he cannot understand any words. I don't know if he is talking on a vertical or horizontal antenna or if he is running an amp. Which orientation would you guys suggest for best all around performance?

1. I'm about to install a CB in my 2009 F-150 Super Cab and would like some feedback on my antenna location choice. I have an aluminum toolbox at the forward end of the truck bed that is bolted to the bed. I'm thinking that I will get the best signal pattern to the sides and rear of the truck if I mount the antenna dead center on the back of the box. The aluminum antenna bracket has enough offset so the antenna will clear the top when opened. I'm not really concerned about maximum gain to the front of the truck. Does this sound like a good location?

Make sure that their are multiple good connections between the toolbox and the bed of the truck. Just because its bolted to the bed does not mean that their is/are good electrical connections between the two.

2. This question concerns the installation of a Sirio 3-element beam antenna on my house. I know that if installed vertically that it will receive signals from vertical antennas better than horizontal. But I would also like to talk longer distances and I have been led to believe that horizontal orientation is better for long distance because over long distance radio signals change orientation. I have one station about 65 miles from me as the crow flies that I would like to talk to. I can hear him on my Imax 2000 and he can tell I'm transmitting but he cannot understand any words. I don't know if he is talking on a vertical or horizontal antenna or if he is running an amp. Which orientation would you guys suggest for best all around performance?

You need to match the orientation of his antenna. When working local contacts, and 65 miles counts as a local contact, some part of your signal can reflect off of objects in such a way that said polarization can change, but this is a very small part of your signal, most of it is unaffected by such objects.

Typically, significant polarization shifts (aka a signal changing orientation) between antennas require something else, such as reflecting off the ionosphere. Nothing like that is happening in your case.

The DB

Reactions: midnight special
I intend to use grounding straps to ground the tool box to the truck bed and ground the truck bed to the frame. I will probably ground the hood and cab to the frame also. I am going to be using a 5' Firestick fiberglass antenna

Reactions: undertaker
The short antenna would be the weak link here, I would give it a shot but if you don't get the results you want something like the aforementioned 102" whip on the same mount would be the next thing to try.

The short antenna would be the weak link here, I would give it a shot but if you don't get the results you want something like the aforementioned 102" whip on the same mount would be the next thing to try.

Yes, I agree. I do have a102" stainless whip if the fiberglass one doesn't work out for me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.