• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Two tone roger beep project

darklife

Modulating Madness
Apr 8, 2013
US
www.darkliferadio.proboards.com
Just thought I would share this simple two tone roger beep circuit I built and decided to rig into an old radio of mine.
It works perfectly and produces two tones, first one higher in pitch than the other.

I know some people have strong feelings against roger beeps and other noise toys but this was just a "for fun" project to see how well it would work using a circuit I whipped up.

The tones are a clean sine-wave so they sound pleasant and should be at talk level so not to annoy the hell out of others. The idea after all is to let them know you are done talking, not to blast their speaker with a BEEP BEEP :glare:

This was while in the test phase wired into the mic jack and into the power source before hardwiring it in my radio..
YhbxOmq.jpg

Schematic. Sorry if it is hard to read but I have not had the time to use Diag to draw it out yet on the computer..
JDzimnH.jpg

Transistors are either 2N3904 or 2N3906. the 4.7 is actually 4.7K. I forgot to draw the K lol.
Relay I used was a 5 volt type and timing relies on 5 volts specific so a single 7805 regulator is necessary.

The dotted line is either optionally a switch to flip between single tone roger or two tone. I wired mine w/o the switch so two tone is forced.
Playing with the two timer transistors resistor values in the center of the schematic will change the note.

The 2.2uF cap on the PTT button will change the duration of the beeps. Higher value = longer beep(s).
If you put a switch in series with the 2.2uF cap you can easily switch between roger beep on/off.

You could add on additional transistor stages (like the bottom transistor with two connections) to add more tones for 3+ tones but what is the point besides annoying others?

Just figured the info would be valuable to experimenters.
I build my stuff on perfboard. Watch out when grounding roger beep boards directly to the chassis since many radios have a separate RF ground and electrical ground.

If anyone uses this idea please give credit where due.

Just thought I would share this simple two tone roger beep circuit I built and decided to rig into an old radio of mine.
It works perfectly and produces two tones, first one higher in pitch than the other.

I know some people have strong feelings against roger beeps and other noise toys but this was just a "for fun" project to see how well it would work using a circuit I whipped up.

The tones are a clean sine-wave so they sound pleasant and should be at talk level so not to annoy the hell out of others. The idea after all is to let them know you are done talking, not to blast their speaker with a BEEP BEEP :glare:

This was while in the test phase wired into the mic jack and into the power source before hardwiring it in my radio..
YhbxOmq.jpg

Schematic. Sorry if it is hard to read but I have not had the time to use Diag to draw it out yet on the computer..
JDzimnH.jpg

Transistors are either 2N3904 or 2N3906. the 4.7 is actually 4.7K. I forgot to draw the K lol.
Relay I used was a 5 volt type and timing relies on 5 volts specific so a single 7805 regulator is necessary.

The dotted line is either optionally a switch to flip between single tone roger or two tone. I wired mine w/o the switch so two tone is forced.
Playing with the two timer transistors resistor values in the center of the schematic will change the note.

The 2.2uF cap on the PTT button will change the duration of the beeps. Higher value = longer beep(s).
If you put a switch in series with the 2.2uF cap you can easily switch between roger beep on/off.

You could add on additional transistor stages (like the bottom transistor with two connections) to add more tones for 3+ tones but what is the point besides annoying others?

Just figured the info would be valuable to experimenters.
I build my stuff on perfboard. Watch out when grounding roger beep boards directly to the chassis since many radios have a separate RF ground and electrical ground.

If anyone uses this idea please give credit where due.
For clarity I drafted your schematic. Let me know if I made any mistakes, if so I’ll correct them with a revision. I wasn’t positive about a few components that were bleached out. I don’t have a 5 volt relay at this time, but will try this circuit sometime later. Thanks for sharing.
Two Tone Roger Beep1.JPG

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.