• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TYT TH-9000 opinions?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
Whats your opinion on the TYT-9000 VHF radios?

I hear good reviews on 220 version...

I am looking at the 136-174 mhz version.

Thoughts?

Comments?

T23

I just orderd one from radio-mart. Great price shipped out next day, it should be here tommarow, I may do a breif review since this transceiver is not that well known...

Its so hard these days finding a vhf or uhf rig that only doess whats nessesary, I dont need a mini toaster and a coffee pot and a fire extinguisher to shoot out of my mobile rig. :laugh:

T23

I'm going to give one of the dual band Chinese mobile rigs a go at some point. let us know how you like the TYT.

You ordered from Radio Mart in Georgetown, KY The infamous Martyn Allison of eBay's RadioMart? Not in my lifetime. It's not what your thread is about but I, like hundreds of other hams, got burned by that shyster on an eBay deal. He was the master of bait and switch.

I just orderd one from radio-mart. Great price shipped out next day, it should be here tommarow, I may do a breif review since this transceiver is not that well known...
T23

Please do. I'd like to know more about this rig.

I have one of the TYT TH-9000's (VHF version) comming aswell. my SAR group just ordered 20 of them. They are certified to be used on commercial frequinces in Canada (with an appropriate license). Also cheap to buy. I will let you know what I think when I get it and hook it up.

I also bought one of the Larsen antennas to go with it. Now looking for a decent vhf swr meter...

Shouldent be long before its in the mobile, I just need to find the best way to wire the power leads.

@ Rat: I bought it from the web site "radio-mart.com" not ebay. will let you know how it turns out.

T23

I also bought one of the Larsen antennas to go with it. Now looking for a decent vhf swr meter...

Shouldent be long before its in the mobile, I just need to find the best way to wire the power leads.

@ Rat: I bought it from the web site "radio-mart.com" not ebay. will let you know how it turns out.

T23

Same guy! I was going to order that same radio from him until I came across a thread on this forum about him.
But if you get the radio I would also be interested in the review. :) I'm looking to get the UHF version here soon.

FWIW, MTC has the Kenwood TM 281 on sale for $138.95 and free shipping.
Kenwood TM-281A 144 MHz Mobile with Free Shipping Big Sale! | MTC
After learning about Radio Mart I went with MTC and got the Kenwood for less. The expanded transmit with out the mod would be nice though. The TYT 9000 at MTC is $169 with free shipping and I've heard nothing negative about them.

Ok, well just checked my ups tracker, it is schelduled to be deleiverd today, I thought they ran on saturday, but I suppose not.

So whats so terrible about this mart guy? Examples?

And any VHF swr meter suggestions?

Or would it be a better choice to get a VHF only antenna analyzer from MFJ?

T23

Ok, well I got it in, its just as it was stated in the AD, good quality. Thick outside metal case. Nothing amiss. Havn't got the antenna in yet and cant decide on the swr meter either. Also trying to figure out the best way to set this thing up in a camry.

T23

Radio Mart and the TYT 9000 220 mhz version

I read the same reports about Radio Mart. Most where on used stuff going to Europe. Four of us in Florida decided to take a chance and ordered the 220 Mhz version. Radio Mart delivered as promised and they work great. So far no regrets. Just be aware the radio uses PF keys for functions that are labeled on most radio's.

Ok, well just checked my ups tracker, it is schelduled to be deleiverd today, I thought they ran on saturday, but I suppose not.

So whats so terrible about this mart guy? Examples?

And any VHF swr meter suggestions?

Or would it be a better choice to get a VHF only antenna analyzer from MFJ?

T23

If you Google radio mart scam or Martyn Allison you'll see what I was talking about. He scammed me on eBay but after a month PayPal refunded all my money. He was notorious for advertising a radio on eBay as like new or in my case "a beautiful example" and showing pictures of a radio in like new condition. What I received was a brutally beat up, non working, cigarette smoke residue filled POS Icom 735 shipped in an old VCR box with NO packaging what-so-ever. He took it back and shipped me another one in exactly the same condition. AFter all was said and done I was out about $35.00 in retyrn shipping.

The irony is that I really did find a like new IC-735 at a local hamfest. When I sold it a year later on eBay Martyn (RadioMart) was the winning bidder!!! :eek: I though he wanted revenge and was going to tell eBay I sold HIM a POS but he paid immediately with PayPal and gave me positive feedback. Go figure.

Heck, maybe he's changed his ways selling new equipment off eBay. I guess people can change.....

Back to the topic. Let us know what you think of the radio.

Well, I installed it last night in my 95' camry, installed it on the side of the transmission buldge. I also received my larsen antenna in the mail yesterday.
The antenna is of exceptional quality, but the coax was too short to go to the trunk, so had to put it on the roof. Thats the only complaint I have with the antenna. The radio itself seems solid. It also has the advertised frequency range, I hate it when you see that a vhf radio has "136-174 Mhz" capable coverage, to only find out that it is recieve only beyond 2 meters. But this is not the case here, full TX and RX on all advertised frequencies. It also has the advertised tuning increments down to 5 khz. And if your one who does not like amber displays, this thing has a varity of colors as a side note. I'll see if I can write a more detailed reveiw with pics of my install soon.
Its almost inpossible to find a spot for a radio in a camry!

T23

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated