• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uhf handheld antenna

leoibb

Jan 2, 2010
hello new lad here with a question?
i have some handheld radios 5 watt uhf, in the 440 band, i recently bought some nagoya 771 antennas for these, i have had ten mile out of them line of sight, however i am not sure these are the best antenna for these in this band? what is the best antenna for these within the band mentioned?? these nagoya are dual band vhf uhf, as far as i am aware dual band effects the ability on both?? so i was thinking a uhf only antenna which will give me the best db gain??
i dont want to be getting invilved with mobile rigs or anything, as these handhelds are for a specific reason. but need the best antena possible?
any thoughts would be greatly apreciated

What is your specific purpose?

Nagoya NA-771 SMA female antenna - $17.99 : Two way radio accessory wholesales, suppliers,, Asiaradiosales the two way radio accessory professionals,

Length 40cm
440MHz Gain ~ 2.2dBi

Smiley Antennas

The 5/8 Slim Duck Antenna 440 MHz is probably what you are looking for, the telescoping one will provide more gain but it is telescoping so it depends on if your specific purpose is ok with a telescoping antenna.

Length =? 70cm * 5/8 = 43.75cm ~ 44cm
440MHz Gain ~ 3 - 7 dB ? (ask them. it is weird that it is not stated. Oh it is dB compared to another antenna, so you will need to find the antenna they are comparing to...) (it is also weird that they don't state a length or mass) (also that 2m, 220MHz, and 440MHz antennas from them all have nearly the same description/picture)

Correct on the monoband having more gain, so if you don't want 2m then finding a 440MHz monoband antenna should be your goal. This Smiley Antenna Co is the only 440MHz monoband antenna maker I found. 440MHz monoband antennas must not be that popular.

I would investigate Smiley Antenna co and ask them how their 5/8 antennas differ from eachother. If they just made one tri-band antenna and are selling it as a single band antenna that would be bad. They probably are not but I would ask and make sure to get lengths and masses of each. If they are all the same length and mass then that would tell you that something fishy is going on.

Alternatively, it could be a pain to find/investigate a 440MHz monoband HT antenna. The one you have now is a good dual-band ~40cm long antenna, if you didn't already have those and wanted to buy "the best" antenna possible quickly you would just buy the ones you already had.

Depending on your specific purpose, you might consider getting a mobile antenna instead/addition to. I use my 8R in my car on a mobile antenna with a uhf-sma adapter and an HT antenna similar to your nagoya when I take it out. Here is a simple sma package-

Comet M-24M Mobile Antenna M24M

hello

very apreciated is that answer and i have emailed the said company regarding the arial if it is accurate then it wil be more than double the db gain

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.