• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 68 XL as a base?

dway87

Oct 14, 2006
San Angelo,Tx / Fredericksburg,Tx
I have a Uniden 68XL that I only used for a couple of months until I got the Elite 78. Anyways I was wondering that if I got it peaked and tuned (still in stock cond.) that I can maybe run it as a base station. I know it may sound lame but I think it would be a pretty cool project for me to do. Any suggestions?

As long as you can get a decent antenna on the roof you should be set with a peaked/tuned "legal" radio for a base.

I use it as a base radio. Its all i have Haha. It works great. I have a 48'' mobile antenna that i use now. Because i live in such a remote area i need to wait for skip to kick in for me to be able to chat with anyone. but it works excellent. For a power supply i just use one i got off my computer.

Setting up the power supply from a computer

Open up you computer and look at the wires that come out of it.

look for a 4 pin connector that looks like this

2_Molex_4-Pin.gif

The reason the picture Says MASSE is because its from a french website. im guessing MAsse means ground or negative.
After you find it Take the YELLOW wire (positive) and connect it to the Red wire on the CB and take any of the two BLACK wires and connect the black wire on the cb and solder them together or what ever you want to do to connect them. so when your computer is on you can use the cb.
HOPE THIS HELPS if you need anymore info ask me. I have this setup

Ok. Now since I am in college and maybe would like to run the set-up here rather than at my home, could I set-up an antenna inside my room or would it be better if I stick it outside. I know I will get better reception if it is outside but will it get any being inside?

from my personal experiences... you dont get squat really. But ive heard that having it in an attic works once in a while. i think wilson or someone makes an Indoor antenna for those people who are afraid of lightning and who dont know how to ground an antenna. so stick it outside. the less obstructions the better.

ok thanks. it would probably be better stick it at the house. im sure the university staff will realize an antenna on the top of their dorm. i wouldn't wanna get caught and get thrown outta school for a cb project. plus it will give me something to do at the homefront. i guess i can always go to my truck and talk to the locals. what's a 100 ft gonna hurt? :)

try to make a mount that you can stick out the window. i used to do that before i convinced my dad that itd be less noticeable if i just stuck it to the roof. and after i did that i noticed a Huge difference in signal boost.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.