• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 76

JDWilbourn

Feb 10, 2007
Huntsville Al
:D Got an echo board and talk back installed Saturday. Talkback turns off with the ch 9 switch. Radio has been peaked and tuned and D-11 clipped. With talk back on I can only turn mic gain up to just less than 3/4 of the way and then it starts sqealling. Turn TB off and squeal is gone. Is this a problem? With TB off and mic gain all the way up voice is distortated. Is this a problem? People tell me when I have mic gain set at 3/4 that I'm loud and crisp clear.
Also noticed that air noise dissapears when I grab mic cord or when my hand touches the sqealch knob???

What you might be getting is feedback from the talkbacl. A road king mic and or turning the mic gain down helps. You really should have D11 left in tact unless you like loud blarring overmodulated audio. Someday you should see your signal on a scope when this is clipped.

no need for a clip in that radio , but it will still work. 3/4s on the mic gain with the radio clipped is more then enough audio (even if your on a stock mic) The talkback is so you can adjust your echo , I like talkback 24/7 on my radio , but my radio (very simlar to yours) is not clipped ither and I use a RK-56 NC mic,even still ,with my talkback always on I still only need 12 o-clock on my mic-gain for more then enough audio from the radio with my echo board set , if you like your audio up up up , as you said , just turn off the talkback. There was really no need to clip D-11 , cases like these just make me wonder why these guys would do that on that perticular radio to begin with ? unless you wanted it that way ? I just helped out someone a while back , his radio wasn't sounding to good on SSB , well , i found out whomever it was he had work on it removed the audio transistor in the radio , in turn ,screwing up the audio on the SSB side of the radio , he replaced it and said all was good to go after that. As Butch said , a NC type mic will also help you out as well and maybe the best way to go concerning the clip and the echo board that might even amplify the audio as well. If they didn't rip out D-11 and only clipped it ? you could put a dab of solder on it and put it back together or take it back to whomever did it and ask them to put it back together. This also doesn't mean your squeal will go away but it might help clean your audio up some. One thing I would be sure of without even hearing your radio JD , your loud alright ! if you like the talkback and you don't want feedback , just turn it down until the feedback is gone , trust me here , you will still be plenty loud. I think it's really more a talkback issue then anything else. And last but not least , a power mic would really give you a hard time on this one. Go with the stock or NC (636/rk-56) you will be glad yo did , chances are with the NC mic's and the talkback , you would be able to crank it up all the way without any feedback from your talkback. Good luck to you

If it didn't squeal before then it could be the mic adjustment on the echo board is too high.
(Since you say it is distorted with talk back off and mic wide open)

Why not just run it at 3/4 and don't worry about it?

The clip was done before I got the radio. I dont have a problem running it turned down. I like the fact I have to turn my radio down :twisted: ;) I just dont like the squeel. I didnt know if I needed to take it back to the shop. I am using a 636 mic. Which brings me to my other concern when I reach to turn up the squelch the air noise/static quitens before I turn the knob, it will also do it if I grab the mic cord?

JDWilbourn said:
The clip was done before I got the radio. I dont have a problem running it turned down. I like the fact I have to turn my radio down :twisted: ;) I just dont like the squeel. I didnt know if I needed to take it back to the shop. I am using a 636 mic. Which brings me to my other concern when I reach to turn up the squelch the air noise/static quitens before I turn the knob, it will also do it if I grab the mic cord?

is that one of those steel type cords on your mic ? either way , sounds like a grounding issue causing you a problem there , you can ground your radio and antenna better to the body of your ride and this could very well take care of that problem.

JDWilbourn said:
alright I'll try that with the radio but I'm afraid to mess with the antenna because of what I went through to set my swr's to 1.2 :LOL:

Don't be afraid part of the fun of CB is constantly messing with things :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.