• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 810e internal speaker source?

TM86

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2014
Payson, AZ
I opened up my Uniden 810e today to start looking at what work it needs, besides a recap and reterminating the power cord. Found that the original oval speaker had been swapped out for a little round guy that had been hot glued in.

Of course, the hot glue had already failed.

Been looking for a while tonight to try and find something the original size (3" wide by 2" tall), but the only place that had anything close wanted $20 to ship the part, which was more than double the cost of the part.

So, now taking suggestions that don't involve shoving foreign objects into uncomfortable places.

Speaker installed, works great.

Now I need to find a replacement for the channel display, but that's probably a thread in itself.

If you're wanting to keep it long term I'd do the DDS VFO mod for it :) I think that would look badass on the Uniden 810e and would replace the channel display nicely.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
If you're wanting to keep it long term I'd do the DDS VFO mod for it :) I think that would look badass on the Uniden 810e and would replace the channel display nicely.
I might yet do that. I would like to figure out a good replacement for the channel display, though, if for no other reason than to have the info available for the next guy.

The readout is a dual digit 16 pin 7 segment common anode, the same used in the Cobra 29 plus many others. Both the decimal point and non-decimal point versions will work. The long lead ones are hard to find. Extending them is a pain, but I've done that by soldering a bad one unto a good one with the leads overlapping each other slightly. I then clipped the bad LED off short.

Be sure to view Mikes Radio Repairs video on the breakdown of the front panel and other valuable hints.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
LTD-6410G is in and working. It has standard length leads so what I ended up doing was taking a wide DIP socket with long pins (think wirewrap long), and cutting it down to just the pins I needed. Once I got the pins where I wanted them and soldered in place, the LTD-6410G plugged right in and I have 40 channel readout again.

One last post on this radio, because I'm finally done working on it. (I hope.)

Had a weird problem with no TX modulation. PA worked great, RX was good. Found that Q25 had 8 V on the collector vs the 3.something it's supposed to have in TX mode. Checked and found that there was a dead short between the collector and the trace that supplied voltage. Well, I had been recapping so I removed a nearby cap, and the short went away. Put the cap back in, and the short came back. Pretty simple, right?

Wrong.

Tested the cap, it wasn't shorted. Checked the radio again, no short. Put cap back in, short reappears. Then I noticed that the cap wasn't even attached to the same traces as the collector of Q25.

If you haven't guessed yet, the cap was pushing on a resistor, causing it to short to the component next to it. Pushed it and some other components to new positions, soldered in the cap, and now have working audio.

Which I then needed to turn down because the previous owner apparently felt that all adjustments should be set at 11, because it's one louder than 10.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?