• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 880 or Cobra 29LX

Mac83

Jun 10, 2011
I am looking to upgrade my current cb that I’m running in my truck. It is
a Maxon MCB-45 with the 120 channel mod. This radio does not light up anything besides the sceen to
see what channel you’re on. And the knobs are really close together
I like the looks and functions of the new Uniden 880. Scan, memory, talkback and all the others would be great to have.
But I have also thought about the Cobra 29 LX.
I would want to get it peaked and tuned but not sure about the 880 that uses the new surface mount technology.
I’m not going to buy anything soon because I kinda want to wait and see what people think about the 880 and how they mod it. I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the two.

If you're looking for radio to mod and turn up modulation/swing etc I'd say go with the Cobra 29 LE, the Uniden 880 is a nice radio for those who will run stock but the Cobra 29 chassis is a proven model for having it tuned up for loud modulation and good swing.

Reactions: 1 person
If you're looking for radio to mod and turn up modulation/swing etc I'd say go with the Cobra 29 LE, the Uniden 880 is a nice radio for those who will run stock but the Cobra 29 chassis is a proven model for having it tuned up for loud modulation and good swing.

Was looking at your videos on Youtube earlier, because I have a 29 LX LE and was wanting to do just that....tune it up on the modulation and swing...Only thing I have found was to turn VR5 counter clockwise for max modulation...Nothing really on the swing part.

Have you done any videos showing "How To" do this? Most of the videos your always cutting away to do the tune, then show what the results are...

I know it would mean giving up trade secrets, but doesn't hurt to ask!:D:pop:

Reactions: 1 person
Has any one seen the videos from custom cb radios on utube. He goes over the uniden 880. Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the 880 after watching the new videos that have come out.

Cobra 29LX

I bought a Cobra 29LX and had a RFX-75 installed. It goes up and above 80 watts and with a pssst into a D104M6B it peaks at 100. Haven't heard the other side but people say it sounds GREAT when I'm running it.
The 880 is to new and not sure what it does to give say.
Must say,, Things are mighty fine with my Cobra 29 !!!!!!!!

Was looking at your videos on Youtube earlier, because I have a 29 LX LE and was wanting to do just that....tune it up on the modulation and swing...Only thing I have found was to turn VR5 counter clockwise for max modulation...Nothing really on the swing part.

Have you done any videos showing "How To" do this? Most of the videos your always cutting away to do the tune, then show what the results are...

I know it would mean giving up trade secrets, but doesn't hurt to ask!:D:pop:

The "guts" of the radio are the same, most if not all the usual mods for Cobra 29 radio's should still work. Nothing new but the faceplate.

I am looking to upgrade my current cb that I’m running in my truck. It is
a Maxon MCB-45 with the 120 channel mod. This radio does not light up anything besides the sceen to
see what channel you’re on. And the knobs are really close together
I like the looks and functions of the new Uniden 880. Scan, memory, talkback and all the others would be great to have.
But I have also thought about the Cobra 29 LX.
I would want to get it peaked and tuned but not sure about the 880 that uses the new surface mount technology.
I’m not going to buy anything soon because I kinda want to wait and see what people think about the 880 and how they mod it. I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the two.

Get a Stryker 440, General Lee, or a Magnum S6.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.