• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 crystal swap for lowers

Yeah I knew about the channel king boards was just hoping to do it the cheap way. What about a clarifier mod for it ?
I have unlocked the clarifier on my 980's. I did attempt to bend the xtal with a choke to expand the range, but that failed as well. I believe the way to expand would lie in the cap range of the varactor, so one would need to source a different part with more range to do this. If you are satisfied with the stock range, then it is a simple mod.

With the cost of a custom crystal, there is no cheap way to get out of band.

You're thinking of Mark19960. Don't know if he was ever a member here, but he's the guy doing the mod boards for the 980's. He engineered and programmed a replacement for the CPU board.

You can see some of his videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Mark19960/videos

No idea how to actually get in contact with the guy to get a mod board, or if he's even selling them. IIRC, he only did it because he was told it couldn't be done.
I don't believe he is making them any longer and I don't believe there are many on the street.

Reactions: Harley3315
He gave up on the project because the 980's are having a huge problem with LCD failures and he decided the mod board wouldn't be worth producing if the radios are all failing.

Honestly, he went as far as He did, It wouldnt be a lot of trouble to add on a cheap OLED or LCD display that would fit in the radio and come with the kit
that lcd is a soreass subject.both of my 980's have troublesome lcds. both went murky muddy looking about a month after the worthless guarentees expired. new crapshoot technology .
upon the call to uniden cost per radio was about $25 less than sending it to the dump n buying another new radio. and a POSITIVE BET not a new uniden

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
that lcd is a soreass subject.both of my 980's have troublesome lcds. both went murky muddy looking about a month after the worthless guarentees expired. new crapshoot technology .
upon the call to uniden cost per radio was about $25 less than sending it to the dump n buying another new radio. and a POSITIVE BET not a new uniden
I have 2 980s right at the moment,one used and one New,I was planning on putting one in my car,but from what I have heard and read,the LCD display problem's are linked to the radios being used as mobile unit's in cars and being subjected to either extreme heat or extreme Cold,but when I hear people using the 980 as a base station and not as a mobile unit, I haven't heard any problems and they seem to last longer( the display)what a Shame as I really like the uniden 980,Rock Solid on SSB, now it looks like I'll be putting in my Cobra 19Dx iv in my car now!!

Reactions: Rwb
I have 2 980s right at the moment,one used and one New,I was planning on putting one in my car,but from what I have heard and read,the LCD display problem's are linked to the radios being used as mobile unit's in cars and being subjected to either extreme heat or extreme Cold,but when I hear people using the 980 as a base station and not as a mobile unit, I haven't heard any problems and they seem to last longer( the display)what a Shame as I really like the uniden 980,Rock Solid on SSB, now it looks like I'll be putting in my Cobra 19Dx iv in my car now!!
yes displays in bright sunlight is terrible

Reactions: Woody-202
My first Uniden 980SSB was never installed or used. It is a later version radio and the display went bad from just sitting in the box. I discovered the problem when I decided to try it. The radio was in warranty and sent to Uniden for repair. They jerked me around and condemned the radio, claiming it was tampered with, thus voiding the warranty. The radio was untouched by me. They claimed coils were spread in the PA section (which has nothing to do with the bad LCD it was sent in for). However, the nice folks at Uniden, did offer me a refurbished "Like New" radio, for more than the cost of new at Amaz or Walm. I told them thanks but no thanks and they made me pay the return shipping for the un-repaired radio. This entire process took over a month to complete and a great deal of my time. all lost to some a-hole tech at Uniden America.

SL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.