• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden 980 discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonoma

Sep 14, 2005
oklahoma
I see on a listing from Lescomm the Uniden 980 radio has been discontinued. the radio seemed to be a good SSB radio and hard to believe it is already being discontinued. I wonder if they are coming out with another line.

If that is true, but I doubt. I would have to say lack of sells would be the reason, not another line.

Hi,
I just bought one on Amazon.....

I actually think they are selling like "hot cakes" from the reviews I have seen!!!

Just sayin!

Reactions: red97k1500
Nothing at all
What I figured.

I don't know this guy or patronized his services but just generalizing, he sounds like another CB tech god who claims to have all the inside knowledge from CB manufacturers.

I have heard many outlandish claims from tech gods like they have been invited to the Asian factories and had a hand in designing some of the new line of radios.

After hearing many B.S. stories like this, it gets to the point where you can't believe any of them.

I would suggest to anyone who has the unique opportunity to visit Mark Sherman in person to do so if you want a fine example of what I'm talking about, then you can judge for yourself.

Sorry Rabbiporckchop, but I couldn't resist… Not! :love:

An inexpensive radio that has many options and sounds great on ssb. Even a wireless mic. Not going anywhere soon. The people at Uniden in the R&D dept came up with a winner

I own one myself and use it in my mobile station. I got it primarily for the WX alert feature since I regularly drive through tornado alley. The WX alert really does work like a true WX radio and it'll make you jump out of your seat when it goes off! Thankfully the alert can be turned off if not needed.

As a radio, it gets the job done. I wasn't too keen at first on the basic adjustments being done with buttons and a multi-function knob, but most of those settings are set and forget anyway.

Overall it seems to a solid radio and I would think Uniden would continue the line but maybe an updated version of it.

We'll see.

Reactions: BammBamm
I saw the Lescomm ad the other day and went a-googling. Only other reference I could find was another ebay reseller claiming the radio had been discontinued, but that was in 2013.

So, yeah, pretty much bunk.

.... I wasn't too keen at first on the basic adjustments being done with buttons and a multi-function knob, ....

This is the only thing I don't care for, when on the road I like to have a fully adjustable RF gain knob at my fingertips and going into menus and such just doesn't cut it. If they could find a way for the clarifier to revert to RF gain in AM mode it would be much more attractive to me.

I do like the 880.

I bought a 880 from Loves on sale a couple years ago and the way most items program I pulled it out after about 2 weeks and it is still boxed up. I like the old radio controls. not into the push this and turn that while going down the road. can be as bad or worse than a cell phone and texting.

Reactions: XXX
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.