1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Uniden 980 question..

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by CB590, Mar 24, 2018.

1. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

I was thinking of buying a 980 over another President Mckinley because of the $70 price difference with the Uniden being about $130 vs. the $199..

The Mckinley has variable RF power using a menu. Does the Uniden have a variable RF power in it's menu setup?

Asking because I may want to push an amp.. The Mckinley does 3/4w-4w in the menu adjustment..

Also the use is for this would be a CB base setup in the house.. the Mckinley I have is in my truck..

I'd go Galaxy 949/959 but don't want drift..

2. codeman

codeman Recovering Crackerhead

No variable power.

3. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

No drift either.

codeman likes this.
  4. 711

711 Well-Known Member

Variable power can be added in AM only

5. tba02

tba02 WOOF

You don't mention the amp being used. The 980 may not even need any adjustments, but if it did it's a simple process.

357magnum likes this.
  6. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

Simple RM203 or bigger. Low drive cheap type.. didn't want to open up radio at all.

7. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

What do you mean added?? With another knob?? Not really wanting to do that either..

8. 711

711 Well-Known Member

Research JP36, I’ve added one to my 880 , 980 layout is similar

9. Onelasttime

Onelasttime Well-Known Member

You do not need variable power to use an amp. Set the radio's power how it needs to be for the amp and be done with it. You do not actually think the 980 or McKinnely (sp) actually make enough power over the 4 watt carrier limit to be worthwhile do you? It is not like they are dual final radio's with lots of potential. Putting amp inline is the smart way to go if you need more power.

Also most people do not think about this but very few radio's with variable power modulate the same at reduced carrier levels. AS you lower your rf-output power most units reduce modulation as you turn the rf power down.

357magnum likes this.
  10. Onelasttime

Onelasttime Well-Known Member

I would put a 2 transistor amp inline with it. If you really need more

: Uniden, 980