• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB - Ranger SRA-117A echo mic

Well the website is as useless as the owners manual.

I tried sending support an email but the contact us form does not work :thumbdown:

I guess I will try the phone call next.

I am posting an image of the RCI mic pinout (6 pin) for easy reference
Uniden 980 SSB Pinout:
1 - Yellow (Audio) White for some mic's
2 - Black (RX) IIRC not needed
3 - Red (TX)
4 - NC
5 - Shield (Gnd)
6 - NC

Well I finally got an email from Uniden when I asked for the mic pinout of the Uniden 980 SSB

Our Solution:
Thank you for using our system.
Unfortunately this information is not available as we do not recommend using aftermarket items

Thanks

Sincerely,

WOW, JUST WOW

Page E9 of the manual states the following

Your Bearcat 980 SSB comes with an adapter to connect the radio’s 6-pin microphone jack to an aftermarket 4-pin microphone.

My recommendation is not to buy Uniden products if they cannot even support their customers needs
Companies have become extremely evasive when it comes to technical information on their products. Like you, I am tending to avoid these types of companies that "lock up" all technical information like schematics, etc. When I buy a product I am not only buying the product, but expect the technical information behind it. Remember when you would buy a product and it came with a parts list, schematic, and exploded views, etc.??

Uniden should be ashamed of themselves with a response like that to a customer. Sad this has become so commonplace.

Companies have become extremely evasive when it comes to technical information on their products. Like you, I am tending to avoid these types of companies that "lock up" all technical information like schematics, etc. When I buy a product I am not only buying the product, but expect the technical information behind it. Remember when you would buy a product and it came with a parts list, schematic, and exploded views, etc.??

Uniden should be ashamed of themselves with a response like that to a customer. Sad this has become so commonplace.

I am still trying to find a wiring layout,for a Turner Super Sidekick.

I actually did this set up when the 980's first came out. It worked sometimes and then it didn't. It was weird. Sometimes I would get audio and other times I wouldn't. If I remember correctly, it would always key up though. It frustrated be enough to just say STICKIT. Come to think of it, it may be why I ended up selling that 980 as a parts radio. Smoke smoke smoke

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.