• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden 980 trouble any suggestions?

Rwb

tell the devil im gettin there as fast as i can,r
Jun 30, 2018
fired up my newer 980 in my truck.id key mic and it changes channels always goes up. i removed mic ,reinstalled it n so far on change when keying up.it was tight unscrewing but to simply remove n put back cures it?
i ran continuality test on wires no breaks. the mic isnt a channel change mic either. as far as transmitter working i talked to my friend rodger both of us mobil for a distant range of 14 miles am. we were on 19 n that part is fine.
i suppose its time to ugg buy a new mic?

fired up my newer 980 in my truck.id key mic and it changes channels always goes up. i removed mic ,reinstalled it n so far on change when keying up.it was tight unscrewing but to simply remove n put back cures it?
i ran continuality test on wires no breaks. the mic isnt a channel change mic either. as far as transmitter working i talked to my friend rodger both of us mobil for a distant range of 14 miles am. we were on 19 n that part is fine.
I have 2 980s and I have never had that problem that you described,however as for a new microphone, I would recommend the astatic 636 as that's the mic I have personally used with all of my Radios,hope this helps!

Sounds like there may have been some surface oxidation inside the mic connector. Pulling the plug out and putting it back in would "clean" that off.

The theory is that surface oxidation would create a resistance, causing a voltage drop on one of the wires just large enough to be interpreted by the radio's CPU to be a change channel command. Remove the oxidation, remove the resistance.

Of course, there's also the possibility that I'm full of crap.

If it happens again squirt a little DeOxit in the connector and run the plug in and out a few times. Should make the time between occurrences stretch out a bit longer.

If you go that route, be sure to have a paper towel under the connector. Hate for your carpet to get stained by DeOxit overflow.

Is the SCAN mode on?

think i figured the problem out.
the female connecters in the mic plug are loose. im going to take an Oring pick n see if i can bent them a tad/ mic slides out very easy.too easy. loosen nut n it glides out freely

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated