• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 with power mic

undecidedcallsign

Nov 3, 2013
I have a Uniden 980 sub and trying to use a few road devils. My standard 636 works fine with talk back I put a new road devil red case on and talk back works but squeals 3 feet from speaker mic gain all the way down, talk back setting at 8 and road devil volume at about 4. The new/old Astatic 575 me has no talk back and either does the black cased road devil. Both mics came from same seller.

Any help or advice?

Regards

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have my Road Devil's volume set at 7/8's and the talkback on my CRE-8900 set on '1','2' if I feel lucky. Same thing goes for my Galaxy DX-959 with it's Road Devil mic. In general,I use talkback on my radio's just to hear myself,otherwise turn the talkback off. If you want to run the talkback on your radio then I suggest you keep the Road Devil at a low volume level. Plus it helps to have someone on another radio to tell you how your modulation is doing.

My 959's modulation is already at 100% even with a stock non amplified handmic. The Road Devil just makes everything I say sound louder.
P.S. I keep my Road Devil's volume at a quarter to halfway on my Galaxy. Anything more is compressed and harsh sounding.

P.S. P.S. It helps to use a external extension speaker and point it away from you and your Road Devil. Try to find a null spot for your mic and speaker.

Last edited:
My original Astatic 636 works as it should mic gain down to 3 and talk back at 7. The red road devil will have talk back mic gain has to be at 1 and talk back down to 5 with mic volume at 3. Any higher on any setting I get squeal. The two new used mics do not have any talk back it's a Astatic 575 m6 and a black cased road devil. The road devil was originally wired as a 6 pin ri but previous owner wired for a 5 pin cobra so it should work with my uniden 980 with the mic adapter.

Power mics and talkback don't work well together. Are you trying to adjust an echo board or something?

No the uniden doesn't even have an echo board. The talkback is good for just making sure u are squealing etc. The RED road devil works fine just a little to sensitive. Just switched to another radio (Connex) and talkback doesn't work either on those 2 mics

No its not I'm not getting any sound from the speaker with those 2 mics. Other then seeing the ex button key up.

Ok so I found out 2 things. Neither of the 2 non working mics had batteries...Duh..Secondly the 575's black wire came loose from the board. I will check the one good one tonight

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.