• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980SSB

I received my new 980 SSB this morning and had to return it. The RF Gain light did not luminate and the RF Gain adjustment did not function. All other lights and features worked. This is the second defective Made in Vietnam CB radio within two months. I ordered this radio because of the scan feature, but I guess I'll activate my trusty Uniden Grant XL again.

Reactions: Slowmover
The reliability of the digital Unidens is well-appreciated by the truck drivers of my acquaintance. As the 980 model is AM/SSB it’s a radio where spending a lot more doesn’t gain the user that much more. (Not that nicer radios don’t exist; not the point).

It’s the most basic radio to recommend, IMO, as lack of SSB is having wasted money on something without.

Paired with:

1). RM ITALY KL203 70W (true) cigarette pack-sized amp that will run off of a semi tractor factory 15A CB radio power supply; and,

2) WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEAR-SPEAKER that makes digital signal noise filtration a reality for non-HAM transceivers. (Also available as a stand-alone unit between radio & speaker).

- creates a package that WILL outperform the more expensive radios in regards hearing signals covered by noise, plus enough wattage to be heard when mobile (with less than ideal antennas in mobile installs) and does NOT require new power cable runs.

Given that a 980 is on sale at AMAZON today at $100, the addition of the two other items described brings the package to $375.00.

A Stryker 955 would require the WM speaker to be competitive and that package would cost $600.

Reactions: S&W357
I received my new 980 SSB this morning and had to return it. The RF Gain light did not luminate and the RF Gain adjustment did not function. All other lights and features worked. This is the second defective Made in Vietnam CB radio within two months. I ordered this radio because of the scan feature, but I guess I'll activate my trusty Uniden Grant XL again.

I have the hybrid CB/Scanner Uniden 885. The first one locked up inside 30-days. I exchanged it for new.

It happens.

I like it quite a lot. It’d be a perfect radio for a truck driver if it also featured SSB. I’ve posted on more extensively elsewhere. As it is I enjoy recommending it. Public Service in some areas has cleared high speed confusion several times. An active shooter in FL last year, for instance. NOT on my two lane run from one Interstate to another.

I’ve decided to make it a gift to my recently married son versus a McKinley. The rest of the gear to support it plus power & coax, etc from my stash has already added up. A few other gifts also being compiled.

Does your vehicle have the room for a separate scanner? Etc. That’s the thing.

Being able to listen to AM plus PS thru one speaker from an 880/980 sized unit is nice. The controls are logical and easy to use on the fly. If I don’t want to listen to multiple welfare checks by a county EMS, I can turn them off. Same for a DOT road crew. All at 67 mph by feel.

As I’m tinkering with a passenger seat radio case that can hold a lot of equipment, space isn’t a concern in the Peterbilt.

AE74AEB6-2985-45C4-86E7-4483BFF4F0FF.jpeg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.