• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980 ssb Squelch not working

CoryS

Jun 30, 2020
I just picked up a Uniden Bearcat 980 ssb and I love the radio so far, but I have one problem, the squelch always has white noise, no pitch change, just wherever the bob is the white noice doesn’t quit, my swrs are 1.2 on 1 and 40 and the tx and rx is very good, but I don’t wanna sit here and listen to white noise until I get a signal so is the any way to fix this or is there an internal way to adjust the squelch? I’m new to the hobby so any help is greatly appreciated

Did you buy it new? Does the RF gain control seem to do anything? Unless you have a trusted reasonably priced local tech that can adjust it I would return it.

Yeah the rf is working alright it just the point where the squelch knob ends the white noise isn’t there, the rest of the radio works flawlessly

Try the local RF switch adjustment. (I forget whats it's called) It's in a menu. I set mine to like 2 bars which kills most of the white noise unless I'm deep in the city.

Try the local RF switch adjustment. (I forget whats it's called) It's in a menu. I set mine to like 2 bars which kills most of the white noise unless I'm deep in the city.
Will this affect my receiving range? Or will the signals still come in nice

Yes it will affect your receiver range. If it’s brand new and still under warranty, bring it back. Hopefully after a while, your display does not start to go dim. I have two of them both out of warranty. One of them display goes dim after a while. It’s a heat related problem because if I take the covers off and put a fan on top of the bare chassis it does not go dim. The other one is flawless.
I’ve read on the Internet about other people having the same problem with the display going out.

If it’s not working you should try to return it for sure.

That said, I don’t personally ever use a squelch on SSB...I don’t think many people do?

Not suggesting a band aid, but squelch not functioning would not be a crippling factor for me.

Is this in a vehicle? And just out of curiosity, what is the signal strength of the background noise?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated