• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN BEARCAT 980SSB "Cracked."

They're controlled by firmware burnt into the CPU damn near permanently. While Les and mark have figured out how to bullshit the CPU to a degree, Less is right. Once you cut power, It defaults to the firmware. Uniden wanted to make these "truck stop proof" and they found a way. I seriously doubt they'll ever do what people want them to and stay that way while being mobile. Unless uniden develops a leak which is unlikely. Between being CPU controlled and SMD, Good luck.

Its actually stupidly simple... For someone that knows what they are doing.

Surface mounted components are scary only to those that don't have the equipment or working knowledge.

Mark didn't bullshit the MCU. He replaced it.
Watch the video closely....

Can the existing MCU be cracked? Sure.
Is it worth it? No.
An experienced programmer can write a similar program in a few days.

The question is.. is it worth it?
To some, yes. Others no.

Reactions: NZ8N
Might take more than a few days for writing code. I really like the 980, but just having the clarifier info is good enough for me. Be nice to channel it, though.

Might take more than a few days for writing code. I really like the 980, but just having the clarifier info is good enough for me. Be nice to channel it, though.

An experienced developer is going to have code libraries. It ends up being a matter of putting the pieces together.

That developer will also not tell you that its that simple in most cases...

You would be surprised how much copy/paste is done by a seasoned developer.

Reactions: NZ8N and LeapFrog
Can the existing MCU be cracked? Sure.
Is it worth it? No

Had a 980 done by a local tech here. Nice looking radio, easy to fit into the SS ute (aussie SUV / pickup type vehicle). Did about 26.8 to 28.0 in 5K steps, but ssb power dropped by 3 or 4 watts above 27.8 or so.

Crap radio though, wasn't sure at first if the mod caused the poor performance (relative to our Cobra 148dx and courier gladiator radios). No guts on tx, drifty on a sunny day, causes an oscillation (carrier) on ssb tx when used with a linear, local power station about 5 miles away splatters it across all 120+ channels.

Got a virgin unmodified 980 to compare it with to see if the mods caused the problems. It was exactly the same.

Same cables antenna etc, no such issues with the 148dx.

Went back to the 148dx in the ute, and got tech to restore the gladiator for my other vehicle (70's van with lots of room for a big radio). Sold the 980 cheap telling the buyer about its issues. With a power mike and well away from other users it worked sorta ok, he mainly uses it on 27.555 usb when the euro skip is running
An experienced programmer can write a similar program in a few days

Tech used an Arduino mini chip to intercept the channel programming section of the mcu and feed the data to the radios pll and vco sections. Took her about 3 hours to code it from scratch. Dunno if any code was reused or imported, way beyond my abilities or level of understanding.

Tech used an Arduino mini chip to intercept the channel programming section of the mcu and feed the data to the radios pll and vco sections. Took her about 3 hours to code it from scratch. Dunno if any code was reused or imported, way beyond my abilities or level of understanding.

That was Sue, wasn't it?

Yep, wasn't going to mention it publicly but obvious to anyone thats had work done there or knows her from cbt, if you want the detailed technical info on how it was done youll have to ask by email or a pm on cbt. Don't think she is on any other forums or facebook.

Loz

Yep, wasn't going to mention it publicly but obvious to anyone thats had work done there or knows her from cbt, if you want the detailed technical info on how it was done youll have to ask by email or a pm on cbt. Don't think she is on any other forums or facebook.

Loz

Its fairly trivial if you can read and understand a datasheet...and write code.
I understand that she is one of those people that can actually do the engineering portions. So I am not surprised that she is so far one of two people that have actually done some innovative things to the 980 and it is those people that are keeping it going.

What we have is the Google generation. If the solution isn't in a google search result then it "cannot be done" which is what I hear about the 980 all the time.
Anything can be done - but is it practical?

So....it can't be done because "Lester said so" and I hate to break it to you guys but one guy saying that doesn't make it reality.
Same guy said you can't install a stinger in the newer 980.
That was debunked as bullshit and he even doubled down on it.

Seems most of your "techs" that say "it cannot be done" say that because they don't want to say "*I* cannot do it" which appears to be the case there.

But there is also what is *practical*.... and that is a legitimate argument.

Its fairly trivial if you can read and understand a datasheet...and write code

Datasheets and coding are no issue for her, she designs and builds "black boxes" that allow otherwise incompatible electronics to talk to each other for a living, and does custom bespoke windows apps as well as micros in C and C++.

Sure it was a cheap crappy radio, but it was done as an engineering challenge rather than a practical conversion. If it was done as a regular commercial task it would have cost hundreds as a one-off. Totally uneconomic when you can buy a china export 10 meter thing for less than 250 with free shipping that would have more power, fm, and more coverage too.

But there is also what is *practical*.... and that is a legitimate argument

No serious user here would have one of those things. Some use converted ham gear, others use 858, 8719, or PLL02A radios with an amp. Don't know anyone other than casual occasional users using a 980 here. Theoretically possible to convert, yes, but practical, no. For less money than a 980 with a conversion you can get a much better radio.

Loz

Datasheets and coding are no issue for her, she designs and builds "black boxes" that allow otherwise incompatible electronics to talk to each other for a living, and does custom bespoke windows apps as well as micros in C and C++.
I get the thrill of doing it, I designed and built de-scramblers for TV's back in the 80's.

Reactions: NZ8N and LeapFrog
Yep, wasn't going to mention it publicly but obvious to anyone thats had work done there or knows her from cbt, if you want the detailed technical info on how it was done youll have to ask by email or a pm on cbt. Don't think she is on any other forums or facebook

I'm a fan of hers from seeing some things she's done on transmission1. She does good work, with an identifiable style.

A guy on YouTube, mark19960 has hacked the computer-to-display and pll data communication format.

Be aware that there are two 980 radios. Just different enough on the inside that this hack is different for each version.

It's not a product you can buy, but Mark's process does demonstrate that the bad old days of wiring toggle switches to a PLL chip are gone forever.

Hacking the internal data communications of a computerized radio is not for the faint of heart, but Mark does show that it can be done.

Worth doing? Very different question.

My girl faked the fifth step. Once, I think.

Sorry for getting off topic but why do those 980's sound nice with the wireless mic but not so good when a mic is wired to it? I've heard two 980's and both seemed to have this issue. Wireless mic good. Wired mic not so good. Why oh why? 73

The stock mike is junk it makes you sound like you are talking into a pillow, no punch, bass, or top end in it. Good enough for the channel 19 crowd, understandable but not going to win any awards for sound quality.

Replaced it with an Astatic 575-M6 hand held power mike, huge improvement in ssb audio quality. Pity the crap receiver in it wasnt so easily fixed.

Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.