• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980SSB (later revision)

No link,but just 2 ideas,a bigger final to where the radio can do more than 4 watts am and 12 watts SSB,and also figure out how to stop the display from wearing out prematurely when mounted in a car due to extreme heat or Cold,lots of complaints that I have heard about on the 2nd idea!!

No link,but just 2 ideas,a bigger final to where the radio can do more than 4 watts am and 12 watts SSB,and also figure out how to stop the display from wearing out prematurely when mounted in a car due to extreme heat or Cold,lots of complaints that I have heard about on the 2nd idea!!
Well, first off, from what I understand, most of the failed displays are on the earlier revision radio. There are 2 versions (The one with the screw on the back is the earlier version).

Second, with modern consumer-grade electronics, low-powered all-smt designs are pretty much the order of the day, unfortunately. As far as I know, there is no reason you could not still do something like an internal "Stinger" board if you wanted to, and there's plenty of room inside this radio to fit it (you may have to give up the internal speaker which sounds like crap anywayze.)

Also, guys, I'm not an engineer. Hahah. I asked for suggestions hoping for ideas on how to go about modding this thing, not an engineering redesign wish list.

From what I've seen on YouTube, I understand that the guy at Channelmaster does some incredible stuff with his complete replacement for the front-mounted digital control board. If/when his boards become more available, I may pick up another 980SSB and install one of his boards. For now, I'm interested in how many useful old-school mods I can actually apply to this one, and maybe someone who reads this thread who wants to do something similar will benefit.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Ok. I couldn't resist. I'm gonna expand the range of the clarifier.

I know, I know.. The radio is useless now...
That's ok. I'm one of those guys who likes to annoy everyone by sounding like Papa Smurf or Darth Vader on SSB all the time. I also like to talk on SSB frequency slots that aren't supposed to be channels.

I like it and I think it is useful. Now that we have established that, let's dig into this thing.

Apparently, there is no schematic available for this radio. So we will have to do this by deduction and common sense.

Here (below) is SecretCB's generalized suggestions for "Super-Slider" mods on various common clarifier circuits back in the day:
super-clarifier-8-20khz.jpg

Here (below) is where I am at right now:
980-slide-mod.jpg

And here are the (current state) results:
980-Slide1.jpg
Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The way your post came across I though you were an engineer looking for a feature request. I’ve done a few audio mods and like this radio with the exception of AGC
Oh. Well, sorry for the misunderstanding.. If the AGC is not an all-digital feature, there may well be an easy way to delete/bypass it's effect on the transmit audio. Sure wish we had schematics. The radio has been out for quite a few years now. Anyone know of a place where they've been reversing this thing and posting the info all in once place?

I think you have done plenty to that radio, you might as well enjoy talking on it now. It's a nice stable low powered radio that will work well with many small amplifiers. If the clarifier is unlocked and working good why screw with it more? Also since you are into it you might as well forget about adding extra channels. You can search the forum for previous threads on this, it's been covered many times. Enjoy.

Reactions: Woody-202

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.