• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant XL problem

Luke509

Jul 14, 2011
I have a Grant XL I have been using in my semi. It's been great until recently. The problem I am having is that it seems to receive fine( I can hear others clearly) until I key the mike to transmit, then nobody can hear me and when I release the mike, there is no sound at all(no static and can't hear others). I turn it off for a few minutes, then back on and get the same problem. Is this a problem with the mike, or is it likely something else? This is a stock radio and microphone(5 pin Uniden) as far as I know. I tried connecting a different radio in it's place and it worked fine, so I'm sure the antennas are working ok. If it is a mike problem, any suggestions on microphones such as which mike and where to get one? If it is something more, any ideas on how to go about getting the radio repaired? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I have a Grant XL I have been using in my semi. It's been great until recently. The problem I am having is that it seems to receive fine( I can hear others clearly) until I key the mike to transmit, then nobody can hear me and when I release the mike, there is no sound at all(no static and can't hear others). I turn it off for a few minutes, then back on and get the same problem. Is this a problem with the mike, or is it likely something else? This is a stock radio and microphone(5 pin Uniden) as far as I know. I tried connecting a different radio in it's place and it worked fine, so I'm sure the antennas are working ok. If it is a mike problem, any suggestions on microphones such as which mike and where to get one? If it is something more, any ideas on how to go about getting the radio repaired? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

could be the mic....i think that radio doesn't work unless a mic is plugged in, correct me if im wrong.... check the soldering joints on the mic plug on the mic.

Last edited:
The Cobra 148 & The Grant XL Transmit finals are the same there loose or too tight mounting screws to the case making them overheat and fail. Too tight can actually pull part of the transistor away from the back plate of the radio I would look at the backing plate and also check to see how hot it gets back there.

if too loose apply some sink compound back there and don't make it too tight.

if it is receiving, then its not an issue with the final.

my guess is you have a short in either the mic itself, or maybe perhaps a cold solder joint in the radio.

first thing id do, would be try a different mic, and see what happens.

report back.

ohh.. also, try this one too:

look at the mic jack on the radio.
get a tiny tiny screw driver and just ever so slightly spread the 5 pins out a bit. and im talking like ever sooo slightly !
you can also do the same thing with the mic side, but the opposite. kinda try to tighten up those connections. but just like the mic jack.... ever soooo slightly !
also, try some contact cleaner in both ends.

good luck, let us know what happens !

The final transistor has nothing at all to do with the receive.

If the receive has a problem, it is usually because the mic is wired wrong for that radio, or a wire is broken in the mic plug itself.

Next, check the radio on the PA mode with the mic and see if you hear any sound output. You must plug an extension speaker into the PA jack on the back of the radio and turn the selector to "PA' on the front of the radio. Slowly turn the mic gain up until you hear your voice come out of the extension speaker. If it doesn't; then the audio chip may have failed. If it doesn't get any audio out of the audio chip; then the radio can't send any audio to the final transistor either. Or, a possibly broken audio wire in the mic too.

Turn the selector switch from 'PA' to 'AM' mode next.

If you got audio out of the PA speaker; then check the output of the radio into a external meter and your antenna. Either an SWR meter or a Mod/SWR/Power meter will work. If you don't see any meter swing on the output on the meter; then the final transistor has failed.

Shop time . . .

Last edited:
Okay, took the mic all apart and inspected all the connections...everything looked okay. Reassembled it then tried it again, now it works. I'm thinking it must be something with the mic. Is there a better than stock mic for this radio? If so, then where would be the best place to buy one? Thanks for the replies.

Okay, took the mic all apart and inspected all the connections...everything looked okay. Reassembled it then tried it again, now it works. I'm thinking it must be something with the mic. Is there a better than stock mic for this radio? If so, then where would be the best place to buy one? Thanks for the replies.

Sweet Deal you scared me when you said after your TX you lose everything RX & TX when you lose both thats not a good thing =) glad it worked out for you.

time for a new mic.

the switch inside the mic is not springing back completely when you release the mic button. thats why the problem happens after you let go of the mic button and doesnt fix itself for a long time after that.

some contact cleaner on this slide switch may fix it, but a new mic will definitely work.

if using it in your big truck, do not use a power mic, get an Astatic 636 or a Turner RK56.

some of the suggestions here had me making this face :blink: LOL.
LC

I've got a similar problem. It's a Uniden Gramt XL and it will transmit fine but won't receive at all. I have tested the mike on another Grant XL and it works fine so I know the mic isn't the problem. The signal meter doesn't move at all and noting out of the speaker. I don't think it's the final because I tested it on a watt meter and it transmits fine and the mic isn't the problem either. Any ideas???

Ok well I was just talking on my other Grant XL and the transmit final just crapped out. Is their a better final I can put in it to upgrade?? This radio has been peaked and tuned and is like brand new. Talked great until just a few minutes ago.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.