• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN MADISON FINAL REPLACED. problematic

He will probably attempt to peak and align the the radio until he finds an area that won't come into adjustment - after a close visual inspection for bad parts and poor solder joints and replace/resolder as necessary first. From that point he will probably troubleshoot/isolate whatever problem area(s) he may find and replace part(s) as needed. Then he will give it a final adjustment(s) and test before he gives it a clean bill of health.
thanks Robb. That might be a problem. I'll explain. when I gave him the radio all it needed was the final. The radio was aligned all capacitors and everything that could have possibly been upgraded had been about 5 months ago. The radio was working perfectly and the only issue was the final had.blown and needed replacem. He replaced the 1969 with an eleflow. should the replacement eleflow have showed 4 watss am and at least 12 on ssb as the above video clip shows without any adjustments having to be made?

thanks Robb. That might be a problem. I'll explain. when I gave him the radio all it needed was the final. The radio was aligned all capacitors and everything that could have possibly been upgraded had been about 5 months ago. The radio was working perfectly and the only issue was the final had.blown and needed replacem. He replaced the 1969 with an eleflow. should the replacement eleflow have showed 4 watss am and at least 12 on ssb as the above video clip shows without any adjustments having to be made?
If he cannot set the bias adjustments; then he certainly does not know what he is doing. Same goes for peaking and other adjustments. With the variable power full open, it should not be allowed to put out more than 4w in AM mode with the mic gain set to 0.
I say that for your protection; not to offend him.

Just because the Eleflow is a drop-in replacement, it does not mean that a replacement final or driver should not need to have the bias checked and adjusted.

He will probably attempt to peak and align the the radio until he finds an area that won't come into adjustment - after a close visual inspection for bad parts and poor solder joints and replace/resolder as necessary first. From that point he will probably troubleshoot/isolate whatever problem area(s) he may find and replace part(s) as needed. Then he will give it a final adjustment(s) and test before he gives it a clean bill of health.
Robb. The Madison was refurbished from top to bottom 6 don't ago. Aligned, new caps and everything that could've been done s. I'd hate to have this turn into a nightmare. When the original 1969 went bad and was replaced with the eleflow, should the output of atlast 4 wtts AM and 12 SSB been there without having to do any adjustments
? If this is not the case, what should've been done to get the proper rated output of a replacement eleflow final? I'd like to be able to ask him what he will be doing in order to get the output where it was when the 1969 was in it. The clip above shows the eleflow with 4 watts AM and 12 SSB with no other adjustments needed? I just want to ask the right questions periods the answers I get my make me decide just to pack it up and send it out to My Tech. The reason why I didn't do that was I figured I'd save the $50 round trip shipping because changing a final seemed very straightforward and something I trusted my local to do as he's very familiar with the Madison and has worked on many of them before. He has a bench and the proper equipment I'm just baffled as to why the output wasn't there when the replacement was made, without having to do any adjustments. Thanks Rob

SAR, the reason the output isn't the same is probably due to slightly different characteristics of the replacement transistor. this is precisely why there are tunable circuits in the radio.
because no one can predict how a particular part will act due to variances and tolerances in their specs. if it were on my bench, i would retune the transmitter even if i replaced the final with another 2SC1969.

after reading through your ordeal, i think you should try to do these adjustments yourself.

get a set of plastic tuning tools for around 10 bucks, and all you need is a wattmeter, and a voltmeter that will read DC milliamps.

you can do this, and we can walk you through it.
you just use your phone for a steady tone from a youtube video, and hold that up to the mic so you are peaking the modulated wattage.

then you set the bias using the milliamp meter.

this way you can make sure it's done with care and to your satisfaction.

i would stay away from the ceramic tools, as they tend to crack slugs when turned too aggressively.
i would always rather have my tuning tool break before the slug.

interested?
LC

I didn't say that he had to rebuild or refurbish the radio; but he might need to make sure it is hitting on all cylinders - so to speak.

Checking/setting the bias is not hard to do. All one needs is a DVM and a few minutes and looking at the Service Manual for the instructions. If doing that doesn't solve your dilemma; then it may need to get checked out by a real tech . . .

Loosecannon's offer is a good one!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.