• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden PC 33 and Mic Squeal

And...

It may be a good idea to use a spare CB radio as a monitor - this way, you can then verify the squeal or not.

Don't need much for the monitors antenna - a simple wire, or even a test lead with the banana plug will fit in the back of the SO-239 center just fine. 3 feet is a good length.

All you need is to verify the squeal occurs - if you can't re-create the squeal with the engine on or off or when the car is moving then the noise from the other day you had the radio check - may have been from another radio interfering due to a totally separate isolated incident not your fault. Heck, even a local baby monitor or security alarm proximity to the receiving antenna can form an "image" making you sound like you have a squeal. It's more like a tone that rides in on your signal.

It's hard to say, but if you weren't getting any type of squeal before - it may have been from another local that has issues...you were "hetrodyning" on another signal - that was slightly off from your frequency. It happens.

Even worse? They may have told you it was squealing - when you really weren't. People do this just to "***" someone's day...

Nothing serious. The "experiment" I mentioned about the R84 and R85 - are so you experience the reasons why limiters work like they do - they can clean up a dirty - noisy - full of ambient noise level around the microphone - so that you don't sound distorted - which could happen when you overload the audio amp with all the power that microphone has - you could have "so much of you in the audio" the only thing missing is your shoe...

People are not as dumb or ignorant - act more like ingrate - when they know that they are talking to someone that can possibly make their day. Don't do the obvious obnoxious stuff - save that for a battle on another day. I find a lot of those on the channels these days have little patience with someone they don't know - so keep those efforts in mind when it comes to dealing with trying to get the right information from someone.

Even if a friend has a means to use a phone by their radio - call them, then talk while listening and hear from their side - how you sound - that is one of the best methods - is to hear yourself thru someone else's equipment.

:+> Andy <+:

It's funny that you should mention retesting the radio - about an hour before reading this I did just that. What I found was that there indeed was a squeal...until I moved the mic further away from the receiving radio's speaker. Presto, no more squeal!

I tested the radio on several channels and I never detected any squeal in my receiving radio's speaker. Very minimal bleed over due to the proximity of the XMT and RCV antennas also; I did have 18dB of attenuation on the receiving radio and I still got 40 over 9. I will retest from the mobile some time this week using the 'mobile phone' method you mentioned earlier. I'll use the original 12V power set-up and then a cable directly from the battery to see if I get any squealing.

While I agree with what you wrote about unscrupulous CB'ers, in this case I believe the party I spoke with may have had receiver/audio problems on his end. Time will tell.

I'll keep this board posted on what else I find.

As always, thanks for your help Andy!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.