• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden pc 68 xl..... mosfet..... maybe?

O

oldslowchevy

hi everyone. i am not new to cb's at all though i am new to working on them.
i did do a swing mod that works really good but it was sujested to install a 2sc1969 final in it. though i am haveing a very hard time finding a "real" 1969 final,....soooooo i just left the stock final in the radio.

so looking around i found 1 final a tip120 specs are:

power dissipataion 65watts

collector emitter votage 60 volt

collector base voltage 60 volt

emitter base voltage 5 volt

collector current (continuous) 5 amp (peak) 8 amp

base current 120 ma

the other that i have is a mofset a irf510 it's spec are as follows:

Vdss =100 volt

vgs +- 20 volt

Ip = 4 amp

dm = 16 amp

Igm =1.5 amp

Pd = 20 watt

both of these were bought at radio shack and item numbers are 276-2068 for the tip120 and 276-2072 for the mosfet.

which of these are worth it or are they? if the mosfet is... is it a plug and play or is there more work to be done?

i do not know what the stock final is in the radio and to be honest i am to lazy to take the radio back apart to look to look...... sorry.

i have seen nothing on the net about convertto the mosfets that i could make heads or tails of......... i'm not that bright...... but i can lift heavy things.

thank you rob, it does seem to be a bit of work but nothing all that bad.

i am not sure if i will go this route or not though. i saw the one final (TIP120) was good to 60 watts which is why i picked it up. the i have heard a few things about the IRF510 mosfets being the new way to go.

i would like to get a real 1969 and just be done with it. i just can not tell the diffrence between the old ones and the current fakes out there, sooooo i think for now i will just leave the stock final in there till i learn some more.

thank you rob, it does seem to be a bit of work but nothing all that bad.

i am not sure if i will go this route or not though. i saw the one final (TIP120) was good to 60 watts which is why i picked it up. the i have heard a few things about the IRF510 mosfets being the new way to go.

i would like to get a real 1969 and just be done with it. i just can not tell the diffrence between the old ones and the current fakes out there, sooooo i think for now i will just leave the stock final in there till i learn some more.

Company called 'Eleflow' from the UK (NOT China!) sells REAL 1969 transistors.
They actually make them better than the originals.
They sell them on Ebay; that one you can trust to work.

Last edited:
bench numbers.

this morning i have to take a defective radio (unmodified and brand new) back for replacement. but while i was there i had them put my uniden on the bench meter and here are the results, hopefully someone can answer some questions i have though.

rms power.... dead key 2 watts with a signal generater swings to 12-13 watts.

peak power... dead key 1/2 a watt and again with a signal general will swing to 35-38 watts.

question time now.

why is the dead key higher on rms vs peak?

now this question is more of a bling bling question.... how hard is it to change the light in the power meter ans the channel display? the s meter has a white bulb and the channle display is red and i would like to change that to green as well. (green car..... i like green ok..... get off my back man.... gezz) lol

Was this a cb shop that tested your radio? I'm having a problem with those numbers I guess. The dead key reading should not change and there is no way a stock Uniden 68 even after a peak and tune will swing 12-13 RMS or 35-38 watts PEP.

If you do the 1969 final mod don't forget to change the driver as well or you won't see much if any improvement.

Was this a cb shop that tested your radio? I'm having a problem with those numbers I guess. The dead key reading should not change and there is no way a stock Uniden 68 even after a peak and tune will swing 12-13 RMS or 35-38 watts PEP.

If you do the 1969 final mod don't forget to change the driver as well or you won't see much if any improvement.

yes i took it to them to see what i was getting out of it, manly because i have a very cheap meter that i know is not right.

here is a link to the mod that i did though i did change a few things.

Mark-Rodgers.com: Uniden PC 66 and PC 68 Audio and Power Mods

it is said to use a 35 volt 220 uf capacitor i used a 440uf, also it says to use a 10 ohm resister and i used a 100 ohm. lastly he says to remove q 14 which is the mod limiter, i did not do this and i am still very loud and not bleeding over other channels modulation acording to my meter is just a tad over 100% where before the mods i was getting 45-50%. the other reason i did not take the mod limiter out was because i do not want to take some thing out if i am not replacing it with something else.

i have seen a lot of really bad hack work and i would like to try at the very least to be better than that. i by no means am a tech, just a hobbist looking to advance some of knowlage.

i have been getting reports that the radio sounds very clean and very stout, no one knows that i did these mods myself and they keep asking me where i took it to get the work done, i just answer back with some one new..... atleast i am not fibbing...:whistle:

you say if i do chang the final that i also would have to change the driver. please excuse my utter and complete ignorace when i ask this....... what is the driver???..... i always thought that the driver and final were the same thing just different people calling the same part a different name..... guess i was wrong huh.

can you or some one else please explain what you mean by the driver...... i am new to working on the radio, and i always thought the driver was the final.

also yesterday i took out the internal speaker since i always run an external speaker and put a 4" fan inside. one question though, i have this where it runs all the time. is there a way i can hook it up that it will turn on and off as i turn the radio on and off.....:unsure:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.