• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden PC76 XLW

roadrage

My first radio was a Uniden PC76 XLW. It stopped transmitting a few years ago. It sat on a shelf for a while. Then it became parts when I needed a meter and an SO 239. Then I decided to attempt to try and do some home repair. I purchased a new final and driver and soldered them in (too bad they were counterfeit.) So finally, after a few years of being dead, I decided to send it for repair. The radio is in pretty good shape. It has near perfect case halves and chassis. The board looks great. There is only a couple blemishes on the face. I knew it still wouldn't have much value more than the sentimental type. I contacted Bells CB and shipped it out. He had done a superb job on my Uniden Madison.

When he was done fixing and tuning it, on the bench, it dead keyed 6W and peaked at 35W. I tested it in my pickup and my meter showed 6W swinging 22W. So I dug out my power supply and hooked up the radio in my room. I use the Madison for SSB and I switch to the PC76 for AM. I only have a Wilson 1000 mag mount currently until I finish my dipole and get some coax. It is stuffed out my bedroom window and sits on top of the metal roof of the back entryway (60' X 12'). So I decided to call my numbers a few times. Even with 7 lbs of static, and a ton of traffic I heard people responding to my little barefoot Uniden. I have to say I am extremely impressed. I have been getting short responses pretty consistent. They tend to get cut off and I can't continue a conversation. But I hear my numbers. I am so impressed with the performance of this "little" radio. And that comes from someone running a Galaxy 95t2 hooked to a TNT 600HD and a 102" on a bonded Chevy 2500HD.
I can't wait until I buy a house, this spring, and use it on my Archer .64 wave ground plane on a 45' tower. It should scream.

Good for you. I asked DTB a question about one of my radios I purchased from him and had him tune it. My peak wattage wasn't as much as he he said it got but he explained that his equipment pretty much shows true dead key and peak wattage. It's not all about slapping a watt meter on it.
My radios operate nicely and everyone always complement them. My demonstrating how nice my DTB tuned radios sound around other CB'ers is starting a movement towards clean audio. Even I'm starting to appreciate a well tuned radio

I have been using DTB for years also. Screwdriver at Bells also has clean audio. I get at least as many compliments on my Bells tuned radios as my DTB tuned ones. It always depends on what radio I am sending out when I choose who I am sending it to. I emailed Dave a week or so ago about repairing my Cobra 146 GTL. He talked me out of repairing my Cobra 29 XLR, but I was going to have him do that one too.

The reason why the bench tends to show more output is because it is a more controlled environment. The have a constant voltage power supply and dummy loads aren't have the losses of a mobile antenna set up. On a proper bench you will see as close to ideal conditions that area possible.

But the purpose of my thread wasn't about my meter readings. I was just giving a complete story with all information. The point was the repeated contacts on crowded airwaves, with a sub-satisfactory antenna system I am temporarily using as a base. And I'm doing it barefoot. It just amazes me. It is turning out to be a very impressive radio. Uniden had a very good thing with these radios, but I am sure my results are also due in large part with the tune it got. (y)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.