• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Washington No Receive

liquidh8

Aug 7, 2011
Hello all. Hope the New Year was good.

I have a Uniden Washington. It has no receive. Nothings. Tried the switches, RF gain, the TR37 I believe it was. the regulator is good. :censored:

If I run my finger over the board, trace side, by FT2, the 7.8mhz crystal, I can get it to receive while talking on a radio near it.

Anyone have any ideas?

That sounds like a cold solder joint. Easy fix. Touch and press around that area with the small tip of something plastic (at first) and see if you can find a bad spot. If plastic won't do it, switch to metal.

Good luck

I though that for a minute also, I went over and checked all the solder joints in that area. All seems well there. :( But, I have to get home tonight and look at it some more.

The last three radios I fixed/that were not working - all had two things in common. The first was that they were all over 20 years old. The second was that all of the problems in each radio were failed electrolytic capacitors. Not in the same circuit - but in various places throughout the radio. Not just having lost their original capacitance value, but were decayed to the point of internally shorting. Out of 32 electrolytic caps in one of those radios, five caps were considerably out of value/tolerance and two more were shorted. That is nearly 25% of them!

Many classic radios are obviously old. Classic = old; for the most part. If you just replace the one cap that is bad, there is a fair chance that another is sure to follow soon. If you want to restore a classic radio, then buy a re-cap kit from Klondike Mike ('forum member'), spend 2-3 hours replacing each one, and then get the radio re-aligned. That will let the radio operate for at least another 20 years and you have vastly increased its present worth as well.

Some cap values have - in many classic radios - have even been upgraded. As the original engineering had proved to be wrong in a few places. Klondike Mike's cap kits contain the cap upgrades too. If you are a forum member, Mike will give you a discount. Think the kits are priced at/about $25 and use a better quality/brand ('Nichicon') of caps than the original mfr did.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/klondike-mike.html

http://myworld.ebay.com/rzelych?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I plan on doing just that! I totally agree!

My 858 Washington had bad caps. I recapped the 8719 Washington (transitional) also. Most of my 2510's have been recapped, my old tube amps, etc.

This Uniden was originally going to be a parts radio, but now I just want to get it running, and see how it goes. If I can find the bad part(s), and get it going, I will recap it also.

My subscribed thread aren't getting emailed to me, ughh. Never finished looking into this radio. I'll be be pretty some though, or, sell it as a parts radio.:cry:

I've watched a few YouTube vids and in addition to caps gone bad,the crystals could be corroded where the legs go in the can. Wiggle them also to see if they are bad. Just a thought

Yeah man, I usually do stuf like that. cycle all the switches, clean and lube them. Check everything and anything plugged in. What we in the Air Force call a wiggle check of all the wires and connections, etc. Nothing, lol.

... Who can sell me a cap kit
I can sell you one. You have to decide which one is best for your radio. There are two variants of your radio. You will have to pull the cover and see what board number you have.

For PC-196BD, PC-196AA, PC-176AA and PC-346AA boards;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142719551923

For PC-385 AC/AG boards;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142731368241

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.