• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN78 NOISE AND CANN'T REC. GOOD

anixon

Jun 11, 2006
nj
i got this uniden brought used. hooked up to big truck . i cann't get swr down. channel 1 is 1.7 and 40 a cann't even cal brake the meter. the antenna is just a 4' stick. had a cobra hooked up before. i brought a new antenna and braket and wire and the same thing. the rec. is weak. the noise signal on meter is low. the heavy noise that is about 10 lbs comes and goes. the squeal i have to run way up. when the noise gets heavy and i touch radio case the noise lowers down.
i have even run a ground from chassic to radio and the same. i didn't have any problems with the cobra 29.
does anybody know what it maybe. and if its worth looking into or just buy another radio. i took a co drivers connex and hooked up and worked fine with low swr.
thanks
allen

It sounds to me like there is a problem with the radio. For example if the SWR is low with the connex radio it would be the same SWR for the Uniden . Afetr all the SWR is where the antenna system is tuned to the vehicle NOT the radio. Now if there is an internal problem with the Uniden it could show a high SWR reading. I think it may be time to visit a good tech!

anixon said:
...cann't even cal brake the meter.

I think you mean "calibrate". There is no such thing as "cal brake" unless you mean brake pads installed in California.

anixon said:
the squeal i have to run way up.

I think you mean "squelch". Squeal is the high-pitched sound you get from a stabbed pig, a well-bedded woman, or from your talkback if you put your mic up to the speaker.

As for the problems, I agree, there is something, maybe several things, wrong with the radio. Its definitely time to bring or send it to a good tech.

ok the high noise level i can knob down by touching radio or holding mic. coil cord. but the rec. some times is load and clear and other times low volume.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.