• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unusual repair job.....

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
A few months ago I bought a pair of TRC-458's from a guy out of Conroe. One came with a microphone, the other did not.

Today I got a shipment from FleaBay... 5 mics (there were 6 in the picture, and there were 6 in the bag when they arrived, but the ad says five... so this is a "baker's five" I guess!) for a little under $30. One was a perfect match for the TRC-458 that needed one.

It was pretty dirty so I split it and washed the case. Cleaned up nicely. Then, I took a look at the front of the mic element...and... lo... it looked like you could not even see holes... or see through to get any air through to the microphone. Curiosity got the best of me....and away I went.

First the little cloth cover came off... hold it up to the light..and there was some kind of "scuz" all in the fabric. I will try to wash that. Next....a little rubber ring with what appeared to be a metal screen. Problem was... the metal screen... appeared to be rusted to the point where the "screen" was not open any more...and I mean...at ALL! No way was any air getting through there. I tried gently scraping with the tip of an exacto knife and rust started falling off like crazy...but the holes would not clean out. So I got my little fiberglas brush set and started applying a bit more pressure.... oh yeah..... rust came out...but so did patches of the screen. It had rusted..and was weak... it caved in. At this point... I took a look at the mic element face. It is clean. It is clear and pliable... I think it is probably working. So I took the rubber ring and scraped the entire remaining screen out of the ring...and am going to clean it....THEN comes the fun!!!!!!

My wife has some old nylon "footies" (think socks made of nylon hose material!). A number of them have runs and are bad. I am going to confiscate one of those and using a thin film of glue... glue it to a good spot on the footie and trim it off when it dries. Then .... wash the little fabric screen cover and let it dry... then reassemble. I had nothing else to do....it's a Friday..... it was either this..... or nothing.... so "this it is"!!!!!!!

In retrospect.... what in the Hell happened to this microphone? One should not be screaming into it with mouthfuls of beer, soda or other caustic substances!!!

Anyway, I sure hope this works. If it doesn't .... well.... it was fun writing this posting anyway!!!!!!

Have a good weekend!!!!

Bob

Hopefully your endeavor goes well, but this part.....

"In retrospect.... what in the Hell happened to this microphone? One should not be screaming into it with mouthfuls of beer, soda or other caustic substances!!!"

I was taking a sip of tea when I read it, damn tea went everywhere :LOL:

Hopefully your endeavor goes well, but this part.....

"In retrospect.... what in the Hell happened to this microphone? One should not be screaming into it with mouthfuls of beer, soda or other caustic substances!!!"

I was taking a sip of tea when I read it, damn tea went everywhere :LOL:
Most of the time, when I do these... I like to attempt humor. I'm having fun doing it... why shouldn't I share a little fun? Just goofin' off.......

In retrospect.... what in the Hell happened to this microphone? One should not be screaming into it with mouthfuls of beer, soda or other caustic substances!!!
Best guess? Previous owner was drinking and BS'ing with buddies on air when a belching contest broke out. He won, but at a terrible price.

• Haha
Reactions: Rwb
Geez the mouthwash commercials practically write themselves………”notice people leave the room when you speak? Corroding your coax? Melting your microphone? Save your equipment and get one step closer with Scope”.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated