• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UPDATE!! What configuration for dipole(s)?

Snake_Eyes

Oct 16, 2005
I have room on two walls in my garage to install up to 2 dipoles. I am thinking of the inverted V for my installation. Does anyone know if this is the best way to install the dipole? I am looking for maximum performance. I think I will install 2 dipoles, but I have no way of knowing how to tell direction as in a horizontal antenna. Maybe someone could tell me how to do this... I figure I could always use 1 dipole regularly, and switch to two on an as needed basis.

Thank you much.

Snake Eyes

are you planning on mounting the dipole on the wall? how long is the wall? is it not possible to put the ant. outside? and why 2. just some questions so that we can ascertain what it is you are really trying to do.

The wall is plenty long for 1 inverted v configuration, and even long enough to have the antenna installed horizontally. I thought I could use 2 dipoles if that would improve my range?

Just wondering... :)

Snake Eyes

How wide is the garage? I think you said it was a 1 car garage in an earlier post? Usually people that put up phased dipoles are trying to achieve directivity. But if the array is too close together you won't achieve much....

I don't know what you mean by directivity. My concern is whether or not two dipoles will do the job better than just one. I will put just one, if it means that the second dipole will create a directional signal, which you may or may not be referring to.

Can someone please explain the process of what happens with one dipole and two dipoles? What is achieved?

Many Thanks,

Snake Eyes

Depending on the frequency, dipoles tend to be "broadside" That is if the ends are going North-South, you will probably have an east-west transmit lobe. Some do two dipoles with a N-S and E-W orientation so that they can switch to get the direction they need/want.

Hope that helps ya out a bit.

The only thing I can ascertain by inphase or out of phase is cophase. Are you talking about cophasing? :)

I think I would probably set up one dipole in an east-west setup... accross the whole wall, horizontally.

So, if I do two dipoles on opposite walls, is my setup going to be resonant from north to south? Or are we talking a completely different animal here?

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

Hi Bunnieman:

My wall is probably 20 feet wide, 9 feet tall. In order to acheive the north-south and east-west configurations with two unjoined dipoles on opposite walls, in what way would I install them. Seems to me to achieve an north south lobe, I would need to spread my dipole out accross the one wall. Now, given my space limitations, how would I install the other dipole.

Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes,
If your garage is of average height (single story) then a dipole isn't going to be too directional, more of an omnidirectional antenna. Adding a second antenna so as both are parallel, not at right angles, tends to make the radiation pattern sort of directional (like a beam). There is some 'gain' by feeding two antennas, but since they aren't exactly at an optimal height, it isn't going to be very directional, and therefore not much 'gain' will be realized. The antennas being inside, and on or very near a wall, isn't gonna be of much help either. Probably just as well off using just one. Another option would be to mount them on adjoining walls at right ang;es to each other. While the directionality isn't going to be much, there shuld be some difference between them.
Something else to think abut is polarization (horizontal). Not too 'good' to mix polarizations, signals aren't the strongest they could be with mixed polarization. Then again, if it's a matter of mixed polarizations or no antenna at all... take the mixed!
- 'Doc

snake pliskin,
is there anyway possible to get your dipole outside even if it was mounted on some kind of stand off on the roof of the garage it would be better than on an interior wall?

FWIW (not a lot)

Another antenna to consider is an "CCD", or "Controled Capacitance Distribution" antenna. It has 'plus - minuses', is considerably longer than an ordinary dipole, more complicated to put together, costs more, and needs a tuner and 'ladder line' feed line. The 'plus' side is that it can be used at almost any height (even laying on the ground/roof/whatever), has some gain over a dipole, and can be laid in almost any 'shape' (as long as it's not doubled back on it's self), and can be used on any frequency higher than the design frequency. Another 'plus' is that there are very, very few of them (bragging rights!).
(Why is he even talking about an antenna that's harder to put up, costs more, a real P.I.T.A. to put together, and ain't nobody else got one?) ...

Cuz since it uses a tuner it has a 'lot' of bandwidth, works almost anywhere/how. Make it for a frequency lower than you'll ever use, then use it anywhere above that. 'Course you gotta 'tune' the tuner, but that's half the fun...
- 'Doc

Snake,

If you really wanted to practice your "ninja" skills, you could build a horizontal loop in your garage. You would definately need a tuner/coupler but that would make the most effective use of the space. I've made them in hotel rooms with #18 speaker wire and taped them to the walls. Be supprised what you can do with that! You may not be able to get a great view but here is basically what I do. Stealth loop

Good luck!

okay guys... i have decided to order one dipole. that's it. given i wish to install it on one wall, can you tell me please which way of installing would yield the best results (i.e. inverted v). again, i have about 20 foot wide by 9 foot long to work with.

thanks, and have a great weekend!

snake eyes

snake eyes,
The best way of hanging it is as high as possible. Use whatever angle between the legs that results in the best SWR. Probably won't be just horizontal, sort of an inverted 'V', kind of. What you should be looking for is the best SWR in that particular location. Doesn't really make much difference if it's straight horizontal or in a 'V' configuration as far as range goes. Have fun...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.