• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upgraded DX99V

Magnum44NC

Oct 15, 2007
North Carolina USA
My DX99V..Hate the Galaxy green..So I changed the faceplate to brushed aluminum, and the digits in freq ctr and ch selector to red..Also did the NPC..It has a low 2 watt key and swings a pretty 35 AM and 45 SSB..Bought this new in 2006. Did the Schottkey RX mod, and it did boost the RX a bit but not the noise. I like a Galaxy!

Attachments

• 20121127_135929-1.jpg
    20121127_135929-1.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 469

My DX99V..Hate the Galaxy green..So I changed the faceplate to brushed aluminum, and the digits in freq ctr and ch selector to red..Also did the NPC..It has a low 2 watt key and swings a pretty 35 AM and 45 SSB..Bought this new in 2006. Did the Schottkey RX mod, and it did boost the RX a bit but not the noise. I like a Galaxy!

You Did ? or your secret tech did????

My first export radio was in the early 80s..It was a 2100..Loved that radio!! Used it as a base station on a little aluminum quarter wave Varmint ground plane..I talked a lot of DX on that baby! I bought/sold several 2100's and enjoyed them all. I wish I could find a mint Super Galaxy ( dual final 2100 ) They seem very hard to find. I might even consider a trade for my 148GTL-DX...Thats MIGHT! Not sure..Love that Cobra! :)

Loved my 2100 as well! I never had it tuned and aligned. What kind of performance did your 2100 do?

I had them aligned but nothing clipped, like TR32 or R249..Kept them bone stock but turned the AMC and ALC wide open. Used Cobra power mic's..With the 7 volt battery..Had great performance..They were stable on SSB and had great RX..I didnt like the fact the beep was always on but eventually figured out how to disable it.

In my opinion it was a great radio for a beginner like me way back then. I was afraid to play with any switches on it for the first few days! In case I got lost and couldnt find CB channels!

I see you are in SC.. I am in NC..

I had them aligned but nothing clipped, like TR32 or R249..Kept them bone stock but turned the AMC and ALC wide open. Used Cobra power mic's..With the 7 volt battery..Had great performance..They were stable on SSB and had great RX..I didnt like the fact the beep was always on but eventually figured out how to disable it.

In my opinion it was a great radio for a beginner like me way back then. I was afraid to play with any switches on it for the first few days! In case I got lost and couldnt find CB channels!

I see you are in SC.. I am in NC..

Yea but I'm from near the Charlotte area. Back then I never thought to have the 2100 tuned and aligned. Happy Feet(Jim Morrison) in Charlotte tuned radios. He's the one who had a 7000 watt linear disguised as a file cabinet that he named 'Maude'. His base station radio was a Cobra 29 that had echo, hooked to a Signa 4 and sounded like God.

I am on the east edge of Raleigh. I started with the 2100, then I had Superstar 360's, 3900's, Cobra 148GTL-DX's, ( still have one ) President Grants, Jacksons, Galaxy 33's up to 99s ( Still have a 99 )..Connex 3300's, Magnum S9, and a few others I cant even remember..

All types mobile pill amps..Texas Star, Messenger, Cobra, TNT, and other bargain brands..

I have blown a lot of cash on this hobby. CB=Continuous Buying.

But its been fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
CB stands for Continuous Buying or Constant Bullshitting.
I have owned a few amps in my time but the 2 amps I most regret selling.....Messenger M500 and a Hurricane 350 with 4 x MRF492s.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.