• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upgraded from a A99 (w/ homemade GPK) to a slightly used Workman w58 (Maco v58 clone)

did you change the coax or keep the original one?
did you install antenna at the same height?

Hey GG, I think he told me it varies ever day, and I think the other guy is mobile, so he could have been in the neighborhood.(y)

Why do people argue over s unit readings??? Maybe radio manufacturers need to go back to what they used to do in the early days of CB and not put them S meters on radios!!!!! I say WHOOOOOOOO CAAAAREEESSS!!!!! As long as the damn thing works i say "keep on ah keepin' on!" 10-04??????

Mmmmmm . . . . No . . . .

Upgraded from a A99 (w/ homemade GPK) to a slightly used Workman w58 (Maco v58 clone)

I got this setup a few days ago from Pony Express (A member here on the boards that is local to me) Only cost me $30.

It took a few minutes to get it all setup, had to test it in my back yard on a umbrella stand about 8 foot in the air.

Ended up with SWRs below 1.5 as low as 26MHz or so and the same as high as 28.600MHz. With a 1.0 SWR around 27.385MHz :)

but the best part is the locals could tell the difference instantly. I used to hit Mr. Killowatt King in Kansas City, MO (about 8 miles from me) at around 7-9db, now I am hitting him at 20 over!

Pony Express out in the mobile said he has NEVER seen me hit him at a 9 in his mobile. But I was doing it today.

The entire project took about 2 hours. This included tearing down the old antenna, and testing the new antenna on the umbrella stand and retuning it about 4 times. Then mounting it where the A99 used to be.

In short I would say that the Workman W58 is hard to beat since it is easy to assemble and tune and can be purchased new for around $75-100 shipped. The Maco v5/8 usually runs around 100-$135 plus shipping

Yeah, going from a strand of wire (A99/IMax) to an actual aluminium antenna makes a world of difference. However, I will say this: while the performance of the Workman 5/8 vs the Maco 5/8 is essentially the same, the Maco 5/8 is more rugged as it's made of thicker-walled aluminum, and can take quite a bit more wind-load.

I got this setup a few days ago from Pony Express (A member here on the boards that is local to me) Only cost me $30.

It took a few minutes to get it all setup, had to test it in my back yard on a umbrella stand about 8 foot in the air.

Ended up with SWRs below 1.5 as low as 26MHz or so and the same as high as 28.600MHz. With a 1.0 SWR around 27.385MHz :)

but the best part is the locals could tell the difference instantly. I used to hit Mr. Killowatt King in Kansas City, MO (about 8 miles from me) at around 7-9db, now I am hitting him at 20 over!

Pony Express out in the mobile said he has NEVER seen me hit him at a 9 in his mobile. But I was doing it today.

The entire project took about 2 hours. This included tearing down the old antenna, and testing the new antenna on the umbrella stand and retuning it about 4 times. Then mounting it where the A99 used to be.

In short I would say that the Workman W58 is hard to beat since it is easy to assemble and tune and can be purchased new for around $75-100 shipped. The Maco v5/8 usually runs around 100-$135 plus shipping

that's a nice increase in reported signal strength ? did your receive signal strength from folks also increase and can you hear folks you couldn't hear before ?

i'm gonna guess there was something wrong with the 99 or it's install to have such a big difference though

that's a nice increase in reported signal strength ? did your receive signal strength from folks also increase and can you hear folks you couldn't hear before ?

i'm gonna guess there was something wrong with the 99 or it's install to have such a big difference though

wow this tread came back from the dead...

I actually tore open the A99 and I could not find anything wrong with it

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah I got it up on the roof today.i'm happy so far.great swr across the board & it covers enough distance for what I want(for now)

I would expect there to be a difference in performance between those two antennas, they are of different 'sizes'. I would expect there to be a difference between 14" wheels and 18" wheels too. Which one of those wheel sizes would perform better? That sort of depends on what kind of performance you are talking about, doesn't it?
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.