• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

US source for FM conversion kit

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
All I can find is suppliers over in England but nothing over here in the states.
All I can find so far is this schematic, major PITA tracking down the components and making it small enough to fit and the cost of shipping might as well ship a cept radio. Sure would be nice if someone knows of a US source.

A conversion isn't a simple thing at all. I don't think I've ever seen a 'kit' for such. I think I would just order that radio. Why would you want FM in this country?
- 'Doc

Reactions: brandon7861
FM kits did and do still exist, SPECTRUM COMMUNICATIONS
I have also several schematics, CBC used to sell a board and still has schematic available, I found a couple in the old Secret CB magazines as well as kits.
I like to use FM when I go hunting or hit the trails wheeling my truck, or in convoy to the beach. Its actually more common on 11m than y'all think, as even the cheapest $80 export has FM. FM is sneaky, sounds like QRM on an AM rig and even most truckers with exports dont realize that's an FM signal when in AM mode. A very good thing when you got people who just love giving you a hard time on the radio for using it for anything other than a power contest. Did I mention its clear, whilst AM may go further, on AM weaker signals come through on the negative peaks. It can also run the cheapest of class C amps, with no distortion.
Your not scaring me into getting a ham license, been there and done that and for the amount of money I have to put into it, I lost interest. CB's are a dime a dozen and as a proper ham I cant do nothing with em.
Back when I did ham the only CB I had was a GE 5001 with only 3 knobs on the front of it, and a Cobra 19 in the house, unmodified running legal, for calling the house from my truck and I even once mentioned it to 80% of the hams up there I get booed off the airwaves. I got sick of hearing all the whining about an occacional truck driver having his band switch on band D transmitting on 28.185 while he burns his finals out.
I know all about 10 meter repeaters, unfortunately just about all 10 meter monobands are said to be illegal, and I get bood off the air the minute I mention what I am talking on. If it aint made by Yaesu KEnwood Icom or sold under the radio shack name its a CB in disguise. CB's in disguise with repeater offsets, PLL tones and CW. 2 faced b.s. when I can "unlock" about any Icom Yaesu or Kenwood for expanded coverage.

I give up, will start hunting the components and see how much cheaper it be than ordering from the british.

Who Posted this? Archangel Saint MackMobile?

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

jeff

I suppose I could have just gave some smart assed answer but I chose to post the truth, I will talk FM mode before any other when given the proper propagation.

Didn't mean to commit Sacrilege.

fm

Way back in the 1980's the wireman who came from Michigan converted cb radios to 10 mtr fm, he and his friends converted over a thousand, I had one for years and it worked like a champ.

I use fm mainly on 2 meter simplex wrkng out 125 miles or more with 80 watts, a lot of fun.

Also use digital modes and packet on 2 meters.

DOCTOR/795

Reactions: NZ8N
I know this is a old thread, but I talked to Lou and he has no FM kits for sale any longer.
Just wanted to update the question.

Jeff
I bought a couple of the kits from Ebay which come from Spectrum Electronics and
they were pretty cheap I bought 2 for $50 or so. Easy to put together for use in my Cobra 2000 and Cobra 148gtl.

Yes, and they still have some left:

eBay

item # 284982978778
That is actually a Noise Activated Squelch board, not an FM detector. This is tied directly to the Discriminator output of an FM detector, before filtering.

I used to make FM detector boards on perf-board based on the FM detector section in an Export radio (uPC1028H is ECG1234) (like in a C148GTL-DX, RCI2950 etc...). I had thought of whipping up a set of Gerbers for an add-on FM board, complete with FM Noise actuated Squelch. And a separate Noise Actuated Squelch add-on (like the above eBay listing) for any radio that has normal AGC actuated Squelch.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?