• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using a compander to boost receive and reduce noise

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I just bought as compander to denoise my receive. I hooked up one channel of the compressor to the SSb detector output on my 139Xlr and sent the 2:1 compression to the volume control and to the audio amp. It really boosted weak signals, but the noise increased too. So, i ran the signal from the compressor output into the expander section but at a rate a little less then !:2 . Same results, louder audio but way less noise. I will post a video of this if I cvan figure out how to do it. This setup really pulls those weak stations out of "the mud." I am enjoying contacts I never would have had before.

- 399 J.J.

570compander.png

cool!

i used to have the VSB-1 by selman enterprises (the secret CB people) but i never hooked it up to a radio.

how about some pics of the insides of this beast!

Who knows maybe i will be one of those weak contacts you can now make!
LC (410)

Matt -

I opened up my compander, and it's no "beast" inside. A pair of Signetics NE571 compander chips and a 4558 dual op-amp. Your VSB-1 probably used the NE570 compander chip, which was the predecessor to the 571. Selman probably scratched off the chip ID numbers, like everybody did back then.

Here is the photo you requested.

I hope we get to hookup on-the-air soon.

Your Friend,

J.J.

NE571.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1