• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using H-250 Mic with CB

Tom Line

Oct 15, 2021
I'd like to use an H-250 Mic with a CB (Lincoln II+). Not sure if Rx audio is available on pin 4 of the mic cable. Also considering a speaker/earpiece limiter/fader if I need to use the speaker output. Any thoughts or experiences overall. Or guesses of what R values might be needed etc. What model is the mic connector called to fabricate the pinouts. I'm sure I'm not the first to invent this. Haven't found anybody reallly following through on it.
upload_2022-1-20_10-12-42.png
upload_2022-1-20_10-13-17.png

upload_2022-1-20_10-14-21.png

I tried to mess with this once, but the wires were of some really funky type in the particular 250 that I had. They reminded me of sewing thread, and I remember not being able to solder them. But, that was aeons ago, so it may have just been my lack of skill back then. I may have to try it again sometime, as I do have a few in a box somewhere.

They call it "tinsel". More fiber than copper, with the metal in the form of a thin spiral of springy flat copper sheet, a millimeter wide, maybe. Meant to be ultra-flexible in the interest of making it reliable.

Just one problem. It's meant to be terminated with crimp terminals. Attempting to solder it will just melt and burn the polyester fibers.

This type of wire was standard issue for Western Electric phones, Motorola police-radio mike cords and mil-grade hardware. Had a boss ages ago who kept the crimp lugs, tool and those cords on hand. When there was a slack day, he had us build hand mikes for the local police radios. Motorola had screwed up and made the bill of materials for the standard hand mike cheaper than the assembled replacement. The PD's radios were on service contract, so any time a mike went bad, they got a replacement pronto.

Soldering a tinsel cord is just a dismal challenge.

Tinsel. Learn something every day!!
Do CB mic connectors ever include an unamplified audio pin?

Looks like a handset speaker is like 1500 ohms, while the radio speaker is 8 ohms. Trying to figure out how to switch back and forth quickly, or slowly (fader) between handset and radio speaker. Perhaps an external switch or rheostat tapped into the speaker wires. Think the pot would need to be a high value.

1643051594821.png

Last edited:
Works. Works great. Audio RX and TX is pretty good!! Building the connector was challenging to say the least due to tinsel wires.
black - ground
red - mic
green - go (transmit)
white - handset ear speaker
H-250-Mic-Tinsel.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.