• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using solid caps in place of regular electrolytics??? In Cobra 138XLR

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So I was going through caps in my stash for my Cobra 138XLR the 25V 4.7uf caps all I have is computer grade/audio grade solid cap. They are still technically an electrolytic aluminum polymer but the electrolytic portion is a solid polymer. They are Sanyo OS-CON's.

My guess they will work fine but that said I do not know that as a fact based on experience. Since they are electrolytic and not a film cap or ceramic they should work. They are high heat, low ESR, long life etc....

I am not paying $9 shipping for 4 caps so it would have to wait until I had an order together worth $9 shipping. I might have some Chinese caps I got by accident. When I contacted the supplier they apologized and sent me the Nichicon caps I had ordered and just had me keep the Chinese caps instead of shipping them back. I hate the idea of using.

Since I work on my own stereo gear I have hi end caps from Nichicon, Elna,Panasonic,Rubycon, Fujitsu, WIMA, Chemicon on hand and have never used a Chinese made cap in my life. I think the Chinese caps I have on hand are JWCO brand. I notice all the people working on radio's and amps on Youtube seem to use a lot of them JWCO.

So what do you guys think??

I am probably going to go with them but I do take advice to heart especialy when some of you grisly veterans speak!

Thanks for any input even if I do not want to hear it! LOL

I checked them out on my DER EE DE-5000 LCR and it showed them being 100% within specification and I cut one open to make sure the polymer was black and shiny still and it looked as it should!

I always check capacitance and ESR before I use any caps even though I buy 90% of my caps from Mouser and Digi-Key since I work on audio gear some of them about 10% are NOS vintage caps so I always test before I install. I also match caps in some circuits.

I know this next part will sound like voodoo but for some circuits I use caps that are "broken in" I know I know.......Sonicly though it does sometimes make a difference but not always which is why I call it voodoo!

If your re-capping that radio this is probably your best bet. This seller is also a trusted forum member here.

So I was going through caps in my stash for my Cobra 138XLR the 25V 4.7uf caps all I have is computer grade/audio grade solid cap. They are still technically an electrolytic aluminum polymer but the electrolytic portion is a solid polymer. They are Sanyo OS-CON's.

My guess they will work fine but that said I do not know that as a fact based on experience. Since they are electrolytic and not a film cap or ceramic they should work. They are high heat, low ESR, long life etc....

I am not paying $9 shipping for 4 caps so it would have to wait until I had an order together worth $9 shipping. I might have some Chinese caps I got by accident. When I contacted the supplier they apologized and sent me the Nichicon caps I had ordered and just had me keep the Chinese caps instead of shipping them back. I hate the idea of using.

Since I work on my own stereo gear I have hi end caps from Nichicon, Elna,Panasonic,Rubycon, Fujitsu, WIMA, Chemicon on hand and have never used a Chinese made cap in my life. I think the Chinese caps I have on hand are JWCO brand. I notice all the people working on radio's and amps on Youtube seem to use a lot of them JWCO.

So what do you guys think??

I am probably going to go with them but I do take advice to heart especialy when some of you grisly veterans speak!

Thanks for any input even if I do not want to hear it! LOL
After reading this description, I don't see would not be a descent cap for the radio. I got some of those included in a parts list for an 8080 receiver. I don't remember the circuit they were in and I still have not got around to the restore.

Polymer electrolytic capacitors are characterized by particularly low internal equivalent series resistances (ESR) and high ripple current ratings. Their electrical parameters have similar temperature dependence, reliability and service life compared to solid tantalum capacitors, but have a much better temperature dependence and a considerably longer service life than aluminium electrolytic capacitors with non-solid electrolytes. In general polymer e-caps have a higher leakage current rating than the other solid or non-solid electrolytic capacitors.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.