• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"V" Configured CB Antenna?

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
I see a lot of photos on the web of hamstick and/or Buddipole antennas set up in the shape of a "V". What are the advantages/disadvantages of this configuration compared to an inverted "V", horizontal, or "L" shaped antenna?

Has anyone tried an 11 meter antenna made from two steel whips arranged as a "V" or have any thoughts as to how one would perform?

Thanks.

Attachment below is an Eznec model of both V and /\ antennas.

Just click on: "IMG.pdf"

I don't know if you could detect this difference just using your radio however.

Let me know if you can't open the PDF attachment file.

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    278.3 KB · Views: 29
Attachment below is an Eznec model of both V and /\ antennas.

Just click on: "IMG.pdf"

I don't know if you could detect this difference just using your radio however.

Let me know if you can't open the PDF attachment file.

Thank you, Marconi. Opened fine.
Very interesting!

Any way you could throw a GP with with a 102" vertical and one 102" slanted radial into the mix for comparison?

Pretty much omnidirectional?

Basically. They both tend to respond a little better to horizontal polarity a bit better broadside and a little better to vertical polarity off the ends but overall they tend to be omnidirectional. With only 2 dB or less gain difference at maximum you will never see the difference in real communications.

Basically. They both tend to respond a little better to horizontal polarity a bit better broadside and a little better to vertical polarity off the ends but overall they tend to be omnidirectional. With only 2 dB or less gain difference at maximum you will never see the difference in real communications.

Thanks, Captain.

Any way you could throw a GP with with a 102" vertical and one 102" slanted radial into the mix for comparison?

Jim, here is vertical with one radial slanted down. You will note that you have lost the ground gain from the previous horizontal V antennas earlier. Plus you will loose the nice match, but you can tune that out by making both elements a few inches longer.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.pdf
    126.6 KB · Views: 14
71, you told me earlier that your goal is to work DX, right? If so, then IMO using the Inverted V is probably the best option...as low as you need to mount it.

71, you told me earlier that your goal is to work DX, right? If so, then IMO using the Inverted V is probably the best option...as low as you need to mount it.

Marconi,
Thank you very much.

Now I can't help but wonder how a horizontal version of the same antenna compares? If you can provide one more model, we'll have all the flies in the ointment so to speak.

I have the model. All it takes is to rotate it 90* degrees. But, my printer needs a service that I can't fix, so give me a day maybe less.

The horizontal model shows the gain goes up to 6.09dbi vs. 2.41dbi the vertical model showed, but the match went over 2.90:1 as I recall. The 102" whips are too short in this particular design.

I have the model. All it takes is to rotate it 90* degrees. But, my printer needs a service that I can't fix, so give me a day maybe less.

The horizontal model shows the gain goes up to 6.09dbi vs. 2.41dbi the vertical model showed, but the match went over 2.90:1 as I recall. The 102" whips are too short in this particular design.

Thank you so much for all the valuable info!
And for taking the time.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to decipher all the info provided by the models. Do any of the items represent takeoff angle?

Yes. The vertical model, 2nd page shows 2.41 dbi gain at 22.0* degrees...the maximum take off angle.

Am a little confused. It appears the upright V has more gain and a lower takeoff angle than the inverted V. Is the better impedance match of the inverted V more important?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.