• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

vacuum tuner

Dec 22, 2006
another box another problem will a vacuum tuner casuse a box to be intermitten with the out put??? i can play with the tuner and the watts will come up from 5 to 14 kw come back to it later and nothen the tube has not long beeen rebuilt....thanks for any help.

Just my two (2) cents, but it sounds kinda like a CSJ (cold solder joint). I've had a few tube radios more than one amp that would tune up "correctly" w/it was warm, but let it cool down 20 min.+ & come back to "NUTHEN". I've learned a lot when it comes to high voltages & decades old "Boatanchors". Of course, I haven't wiggled components on a RF deck, PS, etc., capable of 14 Kw!! LOL

they ant that many solder joints in the box the box has a 3cx15000a7 the bill do over 30k but i know one thing it fixing to be for sale on here or trad for a smaller one the heck with this thing thanks....

What is a 'vacuum tuner'? Did you mean a vacuum variable capacitor? If so, then I very much doubt if that would cause the problem you seem to have. If it's a vacuum variable, then if it starts loosing vacuum it starts to quit, gets to where it can't do any tunning at all. If waiting, then starting over seems to cure the problem, you can bet that the 'vacuum' hasn't been 'renewed' in some way so I'd doubt if that's the problem.
I'm still not sure we're talking about the same thing, so all this is a guess.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.