• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Valor AB5 Multi band mobile antenna

fasteddy

Apr 5, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with this antenna? It is a 5 band, 75, 40, 20, 15, & 10, mobile antenna. It is 82 inches long with 3 horziontal stingers coming of at 48 inches. I know multiband is a compromise but I am looking for a decent compromise to run on the dump truck, and I cant afforrd a screwdriver.

Thanks and 73

fasteddy

</p>

fasteddy,

I'm not familiar with 'Valor's particular multiband set up, but I am faliliar with ones made by other manufacturers. Do they work? Yes. Naturally, they are not as easy to set up and tune as a single band antenna. In fact, they're not easy to set up right, at all. You have to be very careful, 'picky'. Just a little bit of change in one resonator's whip will make big changes in all the rest of them. Nothing really 'new' or different about that, but you should be aware of it.

The biggest 'problems' with this kind of multiband antenna are mechanical. The mast has to be strong enough to bare the wind load of the antenna with little, or no movement. Which means that whatever you bolt the thing to has to be stronger than you'd think to keep from flexing. Guying the antenna isn't a bad idea, and trees are a very definit 'no-no'!

I think 'Hustler' was the first with an adaptor plate to do this with their resonators. Since then, there are any number of companies that have them, and it can be done with almost any mobile antenna that uses resonators, or is loaded. They do work but they aren't the easiest things to set up and live with...

- 'Doc

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.