• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vanity callsign processing time question

The Bruce

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 16, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Can anyone tell me how long the FCC typically takes to process/approve a vanity call sign application?

There were no issues with the paperwork, and if you look at the transaction log (KG7AQD), the vanity callsign I'm applying for was "added" on the 22nd April and the "Redlight Review" was completed on the 23rd. Yet my application is still "pending." {Cry_river}

Can anyone tell me how long the FCC typically takes to process/approve a vanity call sign application?

There were no issues with the paperwork, and if you look at the transaction log (KG7AQD), the vanity callsign I'm applying for was "added" on the 22nd April and the "Redlight Review" was completed on the 23rd. Yet my application is still "pending." {Cry_river}
looks like kg7aqd is issued to a feller in Tuscon, if it's in the QRZ database, then it is also in the federal regisister

Was the vanity call sign actually available when you applied? I know that when I had mine released (long story) the rules were that the call sign had to actually be available to apply for it. On midnight plus one minute of the release date I applied.

If you applied too soon you will most likely need to reapply for the call if it's not already taken. Calls are issued to the first eligible ham that applies.

Was the vanity call sign actually available when you applied? I know that when I had mine released (long story) the rules were that the call sign had to actually be available to apply for it. On midnight plus one minute of the release date I applied.

If you applied too soon you will most likely need to reapply for the call if it's not already taken. Calls are issued to the first eligible ham that applies.

Yes, the callsign I'm applying for is WG7AV, which is available and never used before.

And to the other poster, KG7AQD is me, lol.:laugh:

N4MC's site shows that you AMMENDED your app on 4/22.

Amended Application - When a application is modified, or amended, the FCC's application processing clock is reset to the beginning. For example, if you modify your application one week after it was submitted, then the granting of your application will be delayed one week.

Thanks for the info... maybe it just needs a little more time and I'm just being impatient. ;)

You wouldn't have been at all happy with things the way they were 50+ years ago. It took MONTHS to hear back from the Commission...and you couldn't operate with the new license privileges (even if the examiner had checked your test and told you that you'd passed) until the new ticket arrived in the mail.

Reactions: 1 person
You wouldn't have been at all happy with things the way they were 50+ years ago. It took MONTHS to hear back from the Commission...and you couldn't operate with the new license privileges (even if the examiner had checked your test and told you that you'd passed) until the new ticket arrived in the mail.

yep, the FCC was stating a 3 month wait,..... mine took 89 days

N4MC's site shows that you AMMENDED your app on 4/22.

Amended Application - When a application is modified, or amended, the FCC's application processing clock is reset to the beginning. For example, if you modify your application one week after it was submitted, then the granting of your application will be delayed one week.

Actually, I submitted the application as a modification and the FCC changed it to an amendment once I electronically "signed" the app. I submitted it as a modification because I assumed I was requesting a modification to my current license. Should I have sent it in as a "new" application?

Or should I just wait and see and let the process work itself out?

Should I have sent it in as a "new" application? Or should I just wait and see and let the process work itself out?

Why not give the FCC a call to follow up and make sure everything is submitted right. Like you, I got curious after a couple weeks and called them. I was shocked when I easily got through to a real human being who confirmed for me that I hadn't done something wrong and the app was in process. It showed up in the database about a week later.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated