• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Variable power problem

unit100

Apr 26, 2008
OK, I might as well use some more of you guy's knowledge. I have really gotten some great help here and it is much appreciated.
Lotta smart dudes in here.

I replaced all four pills in my little four pill, (with used pills, but they checked out great), but now the variable power only works when it is set on high, or wide open. This is on an Apache. If I turn the power counterclockwise or lower, it shuts down the output. It does have full output on the highest setting. I changed the potentiometer out, but still had the same problem. So I put the other one back in.
I replaced 4 bad pills with brand new ones on a Texas Star 500, and had the same problem.:confused:

What do you think?

Have you checked the range on both variables with an ohm meter? You might want to disconnect the caps at the input transformer and check them for short also.

Good morning Mr. Mackmobile. I did'nt check the range on the variables, and don't really know how. I know the one on the Apache was working fine before I changed pills. I did change the capacitance on the input and output Transformers. I think maybe you are saying that is what controls the variable potentiometer, or rather the input caps do anyway.

I used some silver mica caps to increase output and maybe one of those is short???????

Alot of the time if you overdrive those variables the will burn and to test the variable you should disconnect all resistors and or paths to ground and knowing the maximum ohms of the device set your ohm meter on the setting that will not max out then rotate the variable from the lowest to the highest position and watch the meter which should be in the ballpark for the device.

If you get intermitent readings or if it goes short then you have the culprit.

Be sure to check the input caps while disconnected also.

Thanks Mackmobile. I will do those tests and let you know what happened. I really appreciate all the help.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.